cajun seasonings

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
While posting on the string about boiling crawfish, it occured to me that some of you might not have access where you are to some the "local finest" in seasonings. If anyone needs something, feel free to pm me and we can work something out (i.e. I can mail you some)

Examples that I can think of off the top of my head:

-Tony Chachere's seasoning (good for throwing on almost anything)

-crawfish boil seasoning

-gumbo file (if you have ask what that is I feel sorry for you)

-Louisiana hot sauce

If you can think of anything else, I'd be glad to help

Cypress

Cypress,

I've worked on every continent, except Antartica (although I've been to Tierra Del Fuego, which is pretty close) and you'd be suprised to learn how common some of those things are. I've found Tony Chachere's just about everywhere. I walked into a little roadside store in Balikpapan, Indonesia one day and there sitting on the self were several cans of Tony Chachere's. Another thing that's pretty wide spread is Tobascco, although I prefer Louisiana Hot Sauce much better.

bullred":3f0emmqm said:
Cypress,

I've worked on every continent, except Antartica (although I've been to Tierra Del Fuego, which is pretty close) and you'd be suprised to learn how common some of those things are. I've found Tony Chachere's just about everywhere. I walked into a little roadside store in Balikpapan, Indonesia one day and there sitting on the self were several cans of Tony Chachere's. Another thing that's pretty wide spread is Tobascco, although I prefer Louisiana Hot Sauce much better.

I didn't know that. I knew tobasco got around, but not the others. I forgot to add another to the list: pecans. Every year I send some friends pecans in New Jersey because they can't get them. Nothing like a good sweet praline.

I love hot sauce. Louisianna is pretty common up here, but I prefer Crystal. Of course if you'd like to ship me 1/2 a dozen bottles of Louisianna Hot sauce, I'd be more than willing to accept them. I am pretty poor :D :D

El_Putzo":iv5d2nor said:
I love hot sauce. Louisianna is pretty common up here, but I prefer Crystal. Of course if you'd like to ship me 1/2 a dozen bottles of Louisianna Hot sauce, I'd be more than willing to accept them. I am pretty poor :D :D

Don't know if you've ever tried it, but there is a hot sauce called Tiger Sauce that is dynamite. Also, stay far, far away of one called Insanity!!

I'm not into the super hot ones, just the kinds that have good flavor without burning your lips off. I like Crystal, Franks, and Louisianna the best.

Tiger is not overly hot, just a very good taste. Insanity, however is the hottest thing I've ever had the misfortune to try. Burnt the tastebuds off my tongue.

Hot sauce, hmmm. here's my story of pain. :)

i had the misfortune of trying some of Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce http://www.firegirl.com/hs1125ui.html a few years ago, and i have to say it will be burned into my brain forever.

we like to take a cup of ranch and put hot sauce on top of it then send the fried crawfish to the bottom of it all. on most nights we use a nice Louisiana or Texas Pete hot sauce, but as sometimes happens we were feeling adventurous. i went to the wall of hot sauces the restaurant has and picked the one that said "World's hottest sauce" somewhere on it and of course, didnt believe them.

a good sample might have involved a toothpick or the tip of my fork, but that's not the way real men do it. :) real men plunge their sauce absorber (fried crawfish) completely in it and straight onto the tongue.

there are some memories that people remember for a long time and that night was one of them. after the 0.000012 seconds that stuff was on my tongue my body went into "Self-Preservation Mode" and spit everything out of my mouth with as much gusto as humanly possible. of course along with the hot sauce and ranch was a fried tail that left at a speed akin to Mach 3 and my hands, atempting to stop the ensuing mess, reached up to cover the spray and was a perfect deflector of everything except the fried tail. as the sauce hit my hands and was turned directly onto my face, i realized that this whole sequence was going to be very bad. for a moment everything stopped and everyone was staring at me (probably because i had screamed and shot a fried tail across the table). just as we bagan to laugh, the pain set in pretty hard. the pain was not just on my tongue but all over my face where the hot sauce had been so evenly spread including in my eyes. i ran to the bathroom to wash my face off and by the time i got halfway there i couldnt see much through the tears and had to feel my way into the bathroom. after the first wiping i looked in the mirror and there were these blood-red wheps all over my cheeks and forehead. about this time some guy came in. when i turned around, with water streaming from my face and these bright red spots, he decided he would use the bathroom later.

after about 15 minutes of pain, everything started to come back to normal. when i could read again, i looked at the bottle. It had a warning on the back for heart patients, pregnant women, etc which i thought was pretty funny and the directions said to only use it in chili or "in dillusions of 40:1 or greater".

after this experience, i have been very satisfied with a moderate hot sauce and no longer play the pain game.

Life Lesson: use a toothpick first.

:D

Is Louisiana Hot sauce a brand name? Keep thinking I have seen different brands with Louisiana hot sauce on the bottle?

aplusmnt":265cogm9 said:
Is Louisiana Hot sauce a brand name? Keep thinking I have seen different brands with Louisiana hot sauce on the bottle?

it is a brand. and a good one.

Aero":2p0m3kjw said:
aplusmnt":2p0m3kjw said:

it is a brand. and a good one.

Just looked in fridge and we have some that Says Louisiana Hot Sauce, but it is a regional generic brand called Great Value. Wonder how a person would know if they get the original, and I am assuming the good stuff?

lhs.JPG

apparently, the "Original" should make the difference in labeling. :)

Thanks Aereo, but I bet that stuff is out of my budget might be an extra 50 cents a bottle over the generic :D Bet original is the key word here.

Sorry, but I gotta jump in here.

McIlhenny & Co. is the original Louisiana hot sauce and there is no substitute. It's not that expensive either, so aplus you can get you some. I just surfed the net a little and you can order it delivered to you door.

To see what the real thing looks like go to:

http://www.tabasco.com/main.cfm

cypressfarms":2ady00sh said:
Sorry, but I gotta jump in here.

McIlhenny & Co. is the original Louisiana hot sauce and there is no substitute. It's not that expensive either, so aplus you can get you some. I just surfed the net a little and you can order it delivered to you door.

To see what the real thing looks like go to:

http://www.tabasco.com/main.cfm

Ok we have Tabasco sauce here, on special occassions I splurge for some of it, like it on fried eggs :)

Latest posts