CAB is a Trademark Brand

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
USPTO (US Patent and Trademark Office) approves patents and trademarks.

CAB is a private sector Brand that has been around since 1978. It had survived the scrutiny of the review and approval process of the USPTO. Google the CAB website. It is not owned by AAA. It's mission is to promote beef. Read their criteria for CAB. It does not stipulate that it is "DNA ANGUS Beef".

On first look, the Brand may appear disingenuous but there are millions of Brands with the purpose of marketing a product that fall in the category of being disingenuous or exaggerations.

The important part is understanding what the Brand represents. Anyone who thinks a brand that has been around that long has not survived a challenge is living an illusion.

Those who think it is an injustice certainly have the right to litigate that injustice in court. Good luck.

I saw somewhere, maybe on here ?
That Holstein's could no longer go into the CAB program. Even if they met all the criteria
Angus sired dairy calves are not allowed

Cross-7":datukjao said:
That Holstein's could no longer go into the CAB program. Even if they met all the criteria

CAB markets it's meat at a premium at the Kroger store I shop at. I prefer their rib steak over US Choice. They have an incentive to exclude carcasses that they believe is not up to their standard.

Boy you have been indoctrinated with a full dose of the bs serum.
No matter how you want to spin it is still a scam.

Definition of scam
: a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation .

TennesseeTuxedo":jtq4e1oe said:
Caustic Burno":jtq4e1oe said:

Definition of scam

So when are you filing your lawsuit?

Most folks can talk the talk but can't walk the walk. I've always called it the put up or shut deal myself.

Bright Raven":3nl1pe9e said:
Cross-7":3nl1pe9e said:

CAB markets it's meat at a premium at the Kroger store I shop at. I prefer their rib steak over US Choice. They have an incentive to exclude carcasses that they believe is not up to their standard.

It's been years since I've read the standards to qualify for CAB but essentially it's prime grade

I just posted it in the black hereford thread:

Supa Dexta":25box37y said:
And here are the CAB requirements:

https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/brand/specs.php

(worth noting it says they must be angus influenced, with a black coat. But doesn't list that in their 10 requirements) Although the 51% black hide has always been mentioned, who's to say the guy guessing how much black it has is an accurate guesser.

And didn't walmart just catch them pushing a lot of other stuff through under the CAB label, and thats why the stein market crashed a couple months back?

True Grit Farms":1d6irka3 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1d6irka3 said:
Caustic Burno":1d6irka3 said:

Definition of scam

So when are you filing your lawsuit?

Most folks can talk the talk but can't walk the walk. I've always called it the put up or shut deal myself.

Still a scam artist no matter how you cut it.
Just like if you take subsidies.

Bright Raven":1lb6awso said:

CAB is a private sector Brand that has been around since 1978. It had survived the scrutiny of the review and approval process of the USPTO. Google the CAB website. It is not owned by AAA. It's mission is to promote beef. Read their criteria for CAB. It does not stipulate that it is "DNA ANGUS Beef".

CAB is owned by the AAA.

cmay":2y311lyn said:
Bright Raven":2y311lyn said:

CAB is owned by the AAA.
It;s mission isn;t to promote beef. It's to sell black angus bulls.

dun":83xemaor said:
cmay":83xemaor said:
Bright Raven":83xemaor said:

CAB is owned by the AAA.
CAB is one of the main sources of revenue for the AAA. It may have been started to sell bulls, but now it's a huge revenue stream.

cmay":sxdy85ft said:
Bright Raven":sxdy85ft said:

CAB is owned by the AAA.

I will read further. Below is copied from their website. From the Terms and Legal section.

Certified Angus Beef ® , CAB ® , Angus beef at its best® and/or any other American Angus Association-owned trademarks are the exclusive trademarks or service marks of the Certified Angus Beef LLC and are protected by Federal trademark law. Other product and company names mentioned in the CAB Program's Web Site may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

In the direct sense it is an LLC. Certified Angus Beef LLC.

Edited to add:
Reading the history on the website, it states that an independent group of ranchers and producers started the organization. The legal section states that CAB is a Limited Liability Company. It does not state who owns it. Since CAB is registered to the AAA, it follows that AAA must own the LLC.

cmay, their website does not have a clear statement as to who owns the LLC.

dun":30w80q4n said:
cmay":30w80q4n said:
Bright Raven":30w80q4n said:

CAB is owned by the AAA.

The website advertises that the mission was to promote better beef:

It was 1978. Getting a great steak at home or even at a restaurant was hit or miss. The Certified Angus Beef ® founders said, "You know what? We can do better. We can lay down a set of uncompromising standards for taste and then find the best Angus ranchers to help us."

The eventual result was the Certified Angus Beef ® brand, the heartland's first premium brand of beef. A veritable who's who of ranchers, along with Dr. Bob VanStavern, a renowned meat scientist from The Ohio State University, helped develop the uncompromising set of standards that are still part of the brand's foundation today.

Bright Raven":31bmaxvv said:
dun":31bmaxvv said:
cmay":31bmaxvv said:
CAB is owned by the AAA.

It was 1978. Getting a great steak at home or even at a restaurant was hit or miss. The Certified Angus Beef ® founders said, "You know what? We can do better. We can lay down a set of uncompromising standards for taste and then find the best Angus ranchers to help us."

The eventual result was the Certified Angus Beef ® brand, the heartland's first premium brand of beef. A veritable who's who of ranchers, along with Dr. Bob VanStavern, a renowned meat scientist from The Ohio State University, helped develop the uncompromising set of standards that are still part of the brand's foundation today.

That smell like what comes out of the south end of a north bound Angus bull.

wacocowboy":19zoe74q said:
Bright Raven":19zoe74q said:
dun":19zoe74q said:

Yeah it does, but the aim was still to create a demand for black angus bulls. And it worked

dun":gxsqdj66 said:
wacocowboy":gxsqdj66 said:
Bright Raven":gxsqdj66 said:

Yeah it does, but the aim was still to create a demand for black angus bulls. And it worked

Yep I give credit where credit is due it was good marketing, a load of BS but good marketing.

Turkeybird":ckakwxfk said:
I will say that I have never eaten a bad CAB steak
I was thinking the same thing. Probably for the same reason

Latest posts