C Section

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I had a heifer tht the vet had to do a C Section about two months ago. The calf weighed 105 lb. The heifer healed rather slowly (I thought)but now seems to be doing real well. She has continued to have an appetite during the entire time...IS IT SAFE TO REBREED HER ABOUT MARCH? Should I try her again or sell her?

Thanks in advance

[email protected]

I've had no experience with beef cows and C-sections. But with dairy cows it isn't a tottally uncommon deal to rebreed them. Normally they breed back late, with dairys that's an accepted thing. Ask the vet that did the C-section. He/she/it will be familiar with what was done and if there are any reasons to pass on her calving again. If she was bred to a calving ease bull and had this huge calf, I'ld have her grow wheels, if this isn't an unusaul sized calf for the bull I would consider keeping her based on the vets recommendation. You still have to evaluate the heifer for the other relevent criteria.

dun

> I had a heifer tht the vet had to
> do a C Section about two months
> ago. The calf weighed 105 lb. The
> heifer healed rather slowly (I
> thought)but now seems to be doing
> real well. She has continued to
> have an appetite during the entire
> time...IS IT SAFE TO REBREED HER
> ABOUT MARCH? Should I try her
> again or sell her?

> Thanks in advance

[email protected]

> I had a heifer tht the vet had to
> do a C Section about two months
> ago. The calf weighed 105 lb. The
> heifer healed rather slowly (I
> thought)but now seems to be doing
> real well. She has continued to
> have an appetite during the entire
> time...IS IT SAFE TO REBREED HER
> ABOUT MARCH? Should I try her
> again or sell her?

> Thanks in advance

Everyone heals rather slow from a C-Section. It is quite painful. Ask your vet about rebreeding her. Depending on how the uterus was cut, as to how long you should wait. Terri

[email protected]

Just be glad she didn't have it and throw her uterus... That's a mess and if you don't get her back through the chute again she'll get bred and will try to have a calf through a set of old stitches.... It's not fun I speak from experience Jake

[email protected]

i do c sections all the time ( belgian blue) and i have never had trouble rebreeding the cow. it's just a question of how many times you can cut. some cows do really well and can have over 6 c's, others are done after two or three. but never is rebreeding a problem. also the cycing is always good in my experience. i have a calving intervl of 350 days average, with 90% c section, and it's the normal births that on average take longer to rebreed.

but c's are not a major economic factor in my area.

[email protected]