C Section

Help Support CattleToday:

ez14. said:
What do you use for stitching them back up?

Catgut, Lidocaine for freezing. It costs me about $100 in supplies and antibiotics to do one. I have heard of vets here charging over $900. We are 4 hours away from the nearest vet clinic, it is way easier on the cow and my bank account to do them here.

ez14. said:
Would it be pretty much the same to do one on a goat?

Yes, I have done a few on sheep. Haven't saved many lambs but the ewes made good meat a few months later.

gcreekrch said:
ez14. said:

Yes, I have done a few on sheep. Haven't saved many lambs but the ewes made good meat a few months later.
This is something I'd like to know how to do. So I was wondering if it would work to pick up a few cheap goats or sheep to practice on

ez14. said:
gcreekrch said:
ez14. said:

This is something I'd like to know how to do. So I was wondering if it would work to pick up a few cheap goats or sheep to practice on

You had better spend a bunch of time at a vet clinic or large outfit first. It isn't something that you just do overnight nor is it fair to animals to use them for practice. I did lose the first cow I performed a c section on from peretonitis. Did save the calf but have always been far cleaner and more careful since.

ez14. said:
gcreekrch said:
ez14. said:

EZ, Gcreekrch posted some excellent pictures and gave some real insight on C - sections in another thread a few months ago. You need to look up the thread, hopefully it wasn't deleted.

Make sure you know the details of the Veterinary Practice act in your state before attempting a c-section. Depending on where you live, posting a picture on facebook or having a nosy neighbor look over the fence can get you slapped with charges of animal cruelty or practicing without a license, even if you own the animal.

In general, I would say it's best left to the veterinarian for most people.

gcreekrch said:
ez14. said:
gcreekrch said:

You had better spend a bunch of time at a vet clinic or large outfit first. It isn't something that you just do overnight nor is it fair to animals to use them for practice. I did lose the first cow I performed a c section on from peretonitis. Did save the calf but have always been far cleaner and more careful since.
unfortunately I'm not very likely to be able to watch one in person around here they just aren't usually performed here. I spent 4 1/2 years working on a dairy farm that used the biggest large animal vet clinic around and in that time I never heard of one being done. And I would have if that clinic had done one

Latest posts