C-Section Baby- Pictures Added

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_up_47

Reaction score
We had our first C-Section calf last night. The mom was a first calf heifer and wasn't supposed to be bred yet. The calf was pretty big, too. (we're thinking about 90 pounds.) The vet came out and tried to pull it, but it was too big. We got the cow up and hauled her to the clinic and they did a c-section. Luckily, it was a heifer calf, we were all thinking it was a bull.

They both stayed over-night at the vet's. The cow still wasn't up this morning, so they tubed the calf with colostrum. They cow doesn't have much milk, either. We picked the calf up, and left the cow there.

They said maybe we should tube her, instead of bottle feed, so she'll take to the mom better later...
Any advice on this? I would rather bottle feed than tube her.

Any advice on feeding, and how often?

I took pictures during the C-Section and will try to post some later.

CKC1586":2kzenwye said:
cypressfarms":2kzenwye said:
Why would you (or the vet) split them up at this point?
I was wondering the same thing....

I would think it's so the vet doesn;t have to feed the calf. Leaving the cow at the vets would enable her to be checked on easier.

The vet wanted us to bring the calf so we can feed her, the cow is still down and I don't think they want to feed her.

if the cow is down. It cost you a lot less to feed the calf than paying the vet to do it

We are going to feed her. We are hoping the cow will get up, she is still at the vet's and they said she was moving around earlier, but not up yet.

Bummer! Sorry this happened to you. Think she got bred by some over-achieving bull calf?

Hope the cow recovers. And that somebody with some bottle calf experience comes on with some advice like you asked.

cowgirl_up_47":2tkip6iq said:
They said maybe we should tube her, instead of bottle feed, so she'll take to the mom better later...
Any advice on this? I would rather bottle feed than tube her.

Any advice on feeding, and how often?

I've grafted plenty of bottle calves onto cows - even some 3-4 week old bottle calves. Don't worry about it.

Feed 2x/day, 1/2 gallon each feeding.

Run a search on the boards for bottle calves for more info.

We decided to use a bottle, instead of tubing her. She wasn't sucking, so we were going to tube her.(We tried for probably an hour or two to get her to suck) That's when she finally decided to suck. I sat on a bale of hay, and she started sniffing my jacket and butting me. Then she tried to lick/suck on the trailer walls.

She drank about a pint of colostrum replacer, and we're going to try again in a little while.

I will post some pictures later, or tomorrow.

The most important thing is to try and give that calf as much colostrum as possible. No matter if it's by tube or bottle. I try first by bottle ,if that does not work I tube them. In their first 24 hrs,I try to atleast give them 6-8 qts. of colostrum. There after I start them on milk. You will have plenty of time to try and use a bottle.
I have grafted calves from a tube or bottle. I don't see that there is much difference. It all depends on the calf and cow.
I hope your heifer recovers.

Injecting.jpg

Feeling.jpg

CuttingUterus.jpg

ChainsOn.jpg

Calf-Born.jpg

CalfHanging4.jpg

ATT00073.jpg

Great pics!! Yea, I know a few faces! Looks like a good team and a healthy calf on the ground! Congrats!

Keep us updated on the Cow!

Good luck,
Alan

We gave the calf a bottle of colostrum replacer this morning and 2 pints a little while ago. We are planning on giving her 2 more pints tonight.

Is this too much, too little, or the right amount?

Also, someone at the vet's said we could feed her regular whole milk from the store now. I don't think it has enough fat, etc for a calf.
Does anyone know anything about this?

I would stick with milk replacer. Your feed store should have it in 25 pd. bags, if you think that your going to rasie this calf from a bottle it would be cheaper getting a 50 pd. bag. It should be around $50, a lot cheaper then milk from the store, and theres a lot more nutrients in it that a growing calf needs. There will be recommendations on the bag on how much you should be feeding a newborn calf, I think there all a little different.

Toby L.":1iddeh1k said:
I would stick with milk replacer. Your feed store should have it in 25 pd. bags, if you think that your going to rasie this calf from a bottle it would be cheaper getting a 50 pd. bag. It should be around $50, a lot cheaper then milk from the store, and theres a lot more nutrients in it that a growing calf needs. There will be recommendations on the bag on how much you should be feeding a newborn calf, I think there all a little different.

Quality milk replacer that is made of milk and not soy will run closer to 75 bucks then 50.

dun":3dfrxunh said:
Toby L.":3dfrxunh said:

Quality milk replacer that is made of milk and not soy will run closer to 75 bucks then 50.

Still cheaper then buying it from the store, I would hope.

Latest posts