C A B

Help Support CattleToday:

D.R. Cattle":1fgpskgc said:
Also Known as "Consumers Prefer It and Pay More For It." Any other argument against Angus is asinine.
Thank You Mr D R Cattlle
I am having a hard time letting him go with his C___again.
He reminds me of a Thanksgiving Turkey.

Yeah it's such a stupid argument. It's like telling Ford not to make trucks because you don't like trucks. People are smart enough to know what they want. Producers should be smart enough to give them what they want.

CAB is promoted as Certified Angus Beef which it is not. What CAB MEANS is Cheating America Beef. James you should know that an animal does NOT have to be Angus to be labeled CAB. Also, the word certified has little meaning in this context. The only meaning of Certified for CAB is that some office guy thinks an animal may have more than 50% of his hide black. The B for beef is valid, as far as we know. It has never been proven that the CAB program adds small amounts of cheaper pork and extra beef fat to their hamburger.

John S.":22tcfzcf said:
CAB is promoted as Certified Angus Beef which it is not. What CAB MEANS is Cheating America Beef. James you should know that an animal does NOT have to be Angus to be labeled CAB. Also, the word certified has little meaning in this context. The only meaning of Certified for CAB is that some office guy thinks an animal may have more than 50% of his hide black. The B for beef is valid, as far as we know. It has never been proven that the CAB program adds small amounts of cheaper pork and extra beef fat to their hamburger.
Another Know it All that won't be identified. These seem to know it all.

John S.":1rrfaxg9 said:

Being certified as CAB takes more than a black hide. Having a black hide is adquate indicator of Angus influence and allows an animal to be considered for CAB. But it has to meet high standards before the CAB stamp is put on the carcass. Last year packers paid $50 Million in CAB premiums. A lot of producers think that's worth working toward. I'll post a link below that has the USDA requirements for all branded beef programs. CAB is top left of the page. You're right it's never been proved because it doesn't happen. You're too funny, John.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/certbeef.htm

Hello John

It has been a while since we have heard from you. I will not try to convince you about the merits of CAB. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what is good and works for them. I hope you have a good calving season.

In the business world, you give the customers what they want. That is exactly what is being done with CAB, only we are getting paid more for it. Why wouldn't anyone want to cash in on it?

Ok I will bite ! I have always loved the look of the polled herefords and said that when I got into the business I would run that breed. Then when the time came and a began going to auctions I sat through dozens of them in disbelieve that anything balck was bringing a higher premium. Then I statred hearing nightmares about pinkeye, so I told myself that I would start with the Black Angus (Seemed simpler) and maybe someday get myself some herefords. For me it was basic economics. Now for the CAB program, how does one get involved in programs such as this inorder to keep the higher premiums ?

Tman":13liivqu said:
Ok I will bite ! I have always loved the look of the polled herefords and said that when I got into the business I would run that breed. Then when the time came and a began going to auctions I sat through dozens of them in disbelieve that anything balck was bringing a higher premium. Then I statred hearing nightmares about pinkeye, so I told myself that I would start with the Black Angus (Seemed simpler) and maybe someday get myself some herefords. For me it was basic economics. Now for the CAB program, how does one get involved in programs such as this inorder to keep the higher premiums ?

Currently, there's no specific program to get a CAB premium. Anyone who raises black cattle (without dairy or excessive Brahman influence) is "eligible" for CAB premiums. The packers pay actual CAB premiums to the owners of cattle when the carcass is certified as CAB. But when you sit in the seats at your local auction barn and see black animals outsell other colors, that's also a CAB-related premium, higher prices for Angus bulls are also partly a result of CAB. Have you looked at the Certified Hereford program? The Hereford site is http://www.hereford.org.

John S.":1z6npm2s said:

I am willing to be identified but I am not here to bash Angus or Brangus. But, John does speak the truth; whether the black breeders care to talk about it or not. Do you really think that a registered Angus or Brangus going through the sale ring gets a higher premium than a black: simmie, limmie, maine, chi, beefmaster, or any other animal that might be mostly black. No. I dont think so. The truth is that the only think illegitimate about CAB is the "A" for angus. Once more (as a disclaimer) there is nothing wrong with the Angus or Brangus breeds.(after all, you guys are what made all the other breeds black, you should get your credit.) :D

A good cattle buyer will have an Idea what breedsare in feeder animal. I know in the comingled sales that I particpate in the angus bring more money. Waht percentage of that Black simmie is angus? 3/4 angus 1/4 chi is still a registerable chi.

PATB":1gldsyzx said:
A good cattle buyer will have an Idea what breedsare in feeder animal. I know in the comingled sales that I particpate in the angus bring more money. Waht percentage of that Black simmie is angus? 3/4 angus 1/4 chi is still a registerable chi.

I may not agree that the crossed cattle can be registered but i understand what u are saying. But dont u think that even 1/4 angus or brangus animal could go through the ring and be given the same price that a registered angus gets. I just dont think that is legitimate. Just because its black shouldnt make it Angus or Brangus(CAB). But at the same time, i guess it would be hard to regulate the makeup of the individual animal. The simple fact is that quality is the main thing that all beef producers need to strive for; not color. There are tons of breeders out there trying to switch their herds over to the black versoin of thier breed. When what they should be worrying about is the conformation of the animals.

If a steer is PURPLE, but has alot of meat and a good quality and yeild grade, what should it matter??? Shouldnt the packer pay more for him?

Anonymous":3lbadl1k said:
PATB":3lbadl1k said:

I may not agree that the crossed cattle can be registered but i understand what u are saying. But dont u think that even 1/4 angus or brangus animal could go through the ring and be given the same price that a registered angus gets. I just dont think that is legitimate. Just because its black shouldnt make it Angus or Brangus(CAB). But at the same time, i guess it would be hard to regulate the makeup of the individual animal. The simple fact is that quality is the main thing that all beef producers need to strive for; not color. There are tons of breeders out there trying to switch their herds over to the black versoin of thier breed. When what they should be worrying about is the conformation of the animals.

If a steer is PURPLE, but has alot of meat and a good quality and yeild grade, what should it matter??? Shouldnt the packer pay more for him?

I wrote this I just forgot to log on

More and more buyers are looking at the genetics as far as marbeling, backfat, frame size and gainability. They know what will meet the qualifications for CAB.

A lot of times I see calves that are sired by a reputation angus sire group top the market. Highest selling calves I saw last fall were the culls (steered) from a quality angus seedstock ranch. The non-culls went on to be $2600 average bulls this spring.

I prefer CAB beef because I know it will have some marbeling and won't be a chunk of shoe leather like Lauras Lean or isn't imported from Australia or Brazil.

Latest posts