Bwf calf

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
Just trying to see if I can get pictures to post. Calf is out of a pays to dream cow and line one herford bull.

sim.-ang.king said:
Look like they will make pretty good calves. Both heifers?
Both pictures were taken within a few hours after birth. Calf in the second picture is a heifer, first pic is a bull. That solid black cow was born and raised here, and is four for four on having bulls. She's slick coated, always good flesh, and always raises the biggest calf in the group. I'm hoping to get some heifers from her before it's all over.

Brute 23 said:
So what's the deal with line 1 Herefords? I have heard that used quite a bit at sales.
I'm no herf expert, but they're linebred out of Montana. I've had mixed results on fescue. I like the white faced calves, but any bulls I buy from here out, any cattle really, will be from lines with a long history on fescue. Probably go to JMS herefords in a few years when it's time for another herf bull.

My bull died last winter, so no more from him. Cooper bull that came about fifty miles from home. Bought some registered cows at the same place, the man was/is a big Line 1 fan. Cows looked awesome, but he head a very high input system they were used to and didn't make the cut at my place. They're all gone, but some regular old farm cows that came home the same year are still here. That taught me the most valuable/expensive lesson I've learned in the cattle business, which is that regional and management adaptability are way more important than anything else. Seems the cattle business in general is geared towards higher output from higher input, which is fine if you're selling high priced bulls, not so great when selling $6-700 feeder calves. Playing the unproven AI bull game, for me, is a crap shoot, give me genetics that are proven similar to my environment and management style, which are the fescue belt and very few feed buckets. I've drank the same Kool Aid as Ebenezer, jdg and the like, and much happier with the results. I've culled hard, have fewer cows, but make more money. Now to build my numbers back up through saving back what works and purchasing cattle proven to make it on fescue and little else.

I'm at a similar point. I have used the AI bulls of the moment, or sons of them, with very mixed results especially in terms of daughters retained. I would say our cull rate has been at least 40% maybe higher in some instances. Focusing now on keeping daughters from cows that have been here for several years and consistent producers. Have also started using some home raised bulls a couple or more generations away from any big names or prefixes. We bought a bull that has AI pedigrees one both sides. He didn't do great his first breeding g season. Bred several early but then when it got hot he stayed in the water and our younger home raised Braford bull picked up the slack. This year the bull has shed off and appears to be doing ok at a similar time. We are keeping several of his heifers as they look to be good and some are out of some real good doing cows. Will probably sell him within the next year as we have some home raised bulls that are getting old enough for heavier use.

I purchased some fancy AI sired sim angus heifer calves for a BTO. Paid a premium over feeder price. Big mistake. Had some calving problems (average wt. but really chunky calves), had some breed back problems (too much milk), and had some mothering problems (some would not stay with new born calves). But, the cows that are left look really good. :nod:

In hindsight - - the seller had a high input operation, and was chasing EPDs to make it even higher input, and then sell bulls...

I got lucky with the Pays To Dream cows, I have three and would take more. The other one I have that's not pictured isn't very pretty but is raising decent calves.

It's amazing the mindset of most smaller producers. "Got two herds fall and spring because of the ones always slow to breed back" and I've even heard "a cow having a calf is a luxury!" Too many welfare producers around here. But then again, we have to justify those high dollar bulls somehow.

BFE said:
I got lucky with the Pays To Dream cows, I have three and would take more. The other one I have that's not pictured isn't very pretty but is raising decent calves.

It's amazing the mindset of most smaller producers. "Got two herds fall and spring because of the ones always slow to breed back" and I've even heard "a cow having a calf is a luxury!" Too many welfare producers around here. But then again, we have to justify those high dollar bulls somehow.

If a cow having a calf is a luxury, and they are in cattle business long then they have other money coming in other than from cattle. We are full time farmers but we do have calves coming more spread out than just a couple months of the year. Some cows have been bought calving at different times and sometimes bull troubles gets them behind. Most of our cows will gain time in calving intervals the next year if something gets them out of line. I know that most like a uniform group and consolidated calving time is sure nice.
If an individual cow loses a calf or gets several months late on calving we cull them.

Latest posts