BW gestation length and winter

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Was chating with vet the other day. He has seen shorter gestations lengths and lighter spring born calves then usual. He's wondering if it maybe has to do with the really mild winter. What he is seeing this spring is what usually happens with fall calving. He also said he has noticed that a lot of ET calves are coming earlier than expected. Typically he said that ET calves gestation is a little on the longer side but this year seem to be shorter. All anecdotal but still something to think about.

Gestations are at 281,4 days on 100 calves so far this year, normally 282-283. Birth weight average 96lbs normal for our charolais herd. Winter is mild here in Quebec, Canada but it's still cold!

Other than one week, our winter has run 10-20 degrees above the normal. That's the reason he is thinking as he does. His thinking would only apply to where the conditions are like here this winter.

We had an exceptionally long, exceptionally cold snap this winter.. we usually only get sub 0F temps for a week or so.. this year we had at least 3 weeks of it and going down to -10F. I'm trying to force my cows to exercise a little more.. I do find exercise reduces BW and gestation a little

My herd on average usually runs about 284-288 depending on the sex of the calf. I had one born about 3 weeks early, less than 45 lbs and not out of a negative birth weight number bull either. Her dam is usually a week or so late on a normal year. The rest of my herd isn't due for another 3-4 weeks but I'm seeing more than usual bagging up early. Time will tell!

SIMMGAL":c77z55lc said:
My herd on average usually runs about 284-288 depending on the sex of the calf. I had one born about 3 weeks early, less than 45 lbs and not out of a negative birth weight number bull either. Her dam is usually a week or so late on a normal year. The rest of my herd isn't due for another 3-4 weeks but I'm seeing more than usual bagging up early. Time will tell!
Compared to your "normal" winter, what kind of temps have you had?

Above average, 70's yesterday!

The coldest it got was around 10 for a day or two. Other than than, many of the days have been above freezing and into the 40's-50's. We usually have snow and wind and single digits by now. I'm running float valves on my water troughs have haven't had to turn them off for days at a time. I'm usually running water from a hose every other day and draining it to keep it from freezing. It's been more like spring than winter. I'm not complaining yet though!

dun":1050j2de said:
SIMMGAL":1050j2de said:
Glad you posted this info-my temps been like yours, and 1 cow is already bagging up here too, a month + early! This will be her 2nd baby. I'll be paying much closer attention, Thanks.

reeler":29un0gkv said:
dun":29un0gkv said:
SIMMGAL":29un0gkv said:
Glad you posted this info-my temps been like yours, and 1 cow is already bagging up here too, a month + early! This will be her 2nd baby. I'll be paying much closer attention, Thanks.

Not a problem, and sounds like a good plan! I'm watching mine closer earlier this year too. Have one showing all the signs of getting ready to pop and she's 2 weeks early!

Last winter was mild, we were due to start calving on 2/26 but they started dropping 2/16. Another relatively mild winter this year, ironically calving is supposed to start 2/26 again and I have 3 girls that are already bagged, starting to spring. Note: all the calves that were early last year were heifers.

My calving started on time but some of the cows that should of been still 20 days out have already hit the ground. Nice healthy calves with avg weight so far in the 80's but still something to notice. Being in Central MO I think we are experiencing what Dun's vet was talking about. I look for a lot more calves to hit the ground in the next 4 days with Temps being in the 60's and 70's. Counted 4 more tonight making bags with 2 of being early March due dates.

USAxBrad":388o5rzi said:
My calving started on time but some of the cows that should of been still 20 days out have already hit the ground. Nice healthy calves with avg weight so far in the 80's but still something to notice. Being in Central MO I think we are experiencing what Dun's vet was talking about. I look for a lot more calves to hit the ground in the next 4 days with Temps being in the 60's and 70's. Counted 4 more tonight making bags with 2 of being early March due dates.
What about weight. We've had 2 and they are about 10-15 below what we expected.

dun":2kxsgvv8 said:
USAxBrad":2kxsgvv8 said:
What about weight. We've had 2 and they are about 10-15 below what we expected.

Have only had 1 weigh less than 80lbs and that was one of the twins....average weight so far has been 87lbs. Heck one of the girls that shouldn't of calves till March has had my 2nd highest weight so far at 96lbs. The twins were also not due till march and they weighed 88lbs and 78lbs respectfully. So far so good! I am loving this weather as much as the cows and calves are!

Same here Dun. Had one calve yesterday, not due until the 27th this month (so 273 days, last year she was 290). Calf was 74 pounds, which is about average for her. Ours seem to be a few days early, and much lighter.

Latest posts