bw for 1st calf

Help Support CattleToday:

rm987":1pw182sg said:
how low should the bw for a first calf be is 85 to high???????????

That is a question that is too open for an answer.

Maybe yes and maybe no.

Size of mom? Shape of calf?

We often go above that and routinely calve out 90 - 105 pounders on the cows. But the cows can do it. And in all honesty the heifers can make 90 with no probs. But that is this herd - not yours.

Others will have more for you but if it is a decent sized cow and not a blocky calf - not likely anything to worry about.

Bez?

We had a heifer calfe 3/27 the calfe 's BW was 70#.I like the bw to be around 70to80#.It is like Bez> said question is to open for a correct answer.

rattler

What's the breed? What is the feeding program? Had a purebred red angus heifer, small heifer - that had an 87 pound bull calf. I AI'd her to a known heifer bull and was surprised at how big the calf was. She had him in less than five minutes though from first sight of the foot until he was born. She kept her condition and has lots of milk for him so I wouldn't say he is too big for her. If your heifer had a hard time having the calf and lost too much condition then I would say it's too big for her. If she's already had it then it's too late now anyway.

cuz im gonna ai in august and there is some nice bulls at lautner farms in iowa that i want to breed to: alias , ali, moody blues, or cashflow

OK. But, just because the bull had a BW of 85# does not mean your newborn will have that. Actual BW of the bull is not as reliable as his EPD for BW & Calving Ease. Also, the BW (BW EPD) of your heifer will be half of the equation.

IF your heifer is properly grown out at breeding and calving, she COULD be able to handle an 85# BW. Just depends on her breed & size. My heifers can easily handle a 85# BW.

These are numbers breed associations calculate on registered cattle (Expected Progeny Difference) so you can compare one animal of the same breed to another.
Don't know what you mean "how close is BW # to reality".
If you mean EPD BW #, they are a TOOL. Can't say exactly what the BW will be.
You haven't answered our question. What breed is your heifer & how much does she weigh? Got a pic?

Latest posts