BVDV 1b

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
There is an article in Cow Country, March 2019. It states that the currently available BVD vaccines including the ones commonly known as the "Fetal Protection" vaccines protect against BVDV 1a and BVDV 2a strains but NOT the BVDV 1b strain. It also states that the "most common strain of BVD virus currently circulating on farms in the United States is BVDV 1b" even though BVDV 1a and BVDV 2a were previously the most prevalent strains.

I use Bovi Shield Gold MLV Fetal Protection vaccine made by Zoetis so I called their Veterinary Services. The Zoetis Veterinarian informed me that even though not stated on the label or in their pamphlet, the BOVI SHIELD GOLD FP 5 and all its various combinations of the preparations, provide "an adequate level of protection against BVDV 1b". The component that provides immunity for BVDV 1b is expensive to prepare and has not yet met the regulatory requirements for placing it on the label.

PS: the only vaccine I checked on was Zoetis Bovi Shield Gold. I don't know the status of any other BVD vaccines on the market. My guess would be that the vast majority do no cover strain BVDV 1b because it is a new addition to the components of the BVD vaccines!

Good biosecurity is important. While many most vaccines are excellent new strains are always around the corner and some vaccines just reduce the incidence of disease so that other measures like biosecurity can be effective.

Ken

What is the difference between bovishield and virashield? I'm running a big group of cows through tomorrow to worm, multimin, and virashield 4 vl5 hb 30 days pre breeding. Am I covered?

T & B farms said:
What is the difference between bovishield and virashield? I'm running a big group of cows through tomorrow to worm, multimin, and virashield 4 vl5 hb 30 days pre breeding. Am I covered?

Virashield is a killed virus vaccine. Whereas Bovi Shield Gold is a modified live virus preparation.

Virashild only covers Type 1a and 2a strains of the BVDV.

You could call Elanco at 800 782 8977 to see if BVDV 1b is covered.

Edited to add: almost everyone is in this boat. You are covered for Leptospira borgpetersenii (hardjo bovis) with the VL 5 HB.