bvd

Help Support CattleToday:

Russ Goodrich

Reaction score
Can Meat from a steer known to be infected with BVD (If the steer is only showing diarhea for less than a week) be consumed without causing health risks to humans?

A current estimate is that about 10% of beef cow herds have at least 1 PI animal, and about 0.25 to <1% of calves born are PI.

Veterinarians should have a surveillance strategy to determine level of herd risk for the presence of PI animals (High vs. Low Risk).

Herds that are considered high risk for containing PI animals should utilize laboratory tests to do whole-herd screening to find all PI animals and then remove them.

PI cattle should be removed from herds immediately and marketed directly to slaughter or euthanized. BVDV is not a human health risk, but PI cattle are a health risk to other cattle and are often in poor health themselves.

Found this on an Auburn Univ. website.

For some reason, I seem to recall an article that an older man got BVD from cleaning an infected deer. It said it was very rare. Don't remember where I saw it, but it was a few months ago. Ask a vet if it's safe to eat. If it's transmitted from fecal matter if the intestines are not nicked during slaughter it should be fine. Just my thoughts.

Latest posts