BVD Testing for Shows

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
OK... this is probably a stupid question...
Today I had my show string tested for BVD...(via earnotch).

The requirement was that the animals be BVD tested within 30 days of the date of the show. The vet and I talked about this today...the fact that this is becoming standard (was required at IL Beef Expo as well as the Ohio Beef Expo for which they were tested).

However, these same animals will be shown several times this year... so if ALL the shows require BVD testing within 30 days of the show, how will my poor animals have any EAR LEFT!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: For some of you that show A LOT, are you running into this?

As I said...there's probably something I don't know but can you see my concern? Its not like taking a blood sample... they took a CHUNK of my cattles ear (I really don't think she needed as much "flesh" as she took)! They DID take it from the off-side but come on! By the end of the season, my cows ears could look like a lace doily!

The earnotch test is to test for BVD PI calves. One test is sufficient to know that, no need to repeat as the outcome will always be the same. Maybe it was meant to say test atleast 30 days before the show as the results may take 14 days or more to arrive and they want to make sure you have results well before the show?

Is this something new for IL because I showed at all my county fairs and du quoin state fair with out a BVD test. So don't know what they are talking about maybe it's just for the Beef expo.

Hey you going to show at the beef expo this week end. Cause i'm going up there for the livestock judging and sale.

Sim...
If you look at the Ohio Beef Expo website under Health Requirements, it states that the BVD testing is new this year for the Expo. So, then when the vet came out she thought I was taking them to the Illinois Beef Expo (because she said that she'd had to do some BVD for there as well).... so I don't know FOR SURE that they are requiring it here in Illinois.. its just what she said.

I am HOPING, HOPING, HOPING that I will be there this weekend... but husband said today that there's too much we have to get done on the farm since its supposed to rain on Sunday... so I'm hoping maybe I can get up with him EARLY and get a few things done so we can go up for a bit. But as for showing there this weekend.. No.. The reason we are showing in Ohio is because our Eastern Murray Grey Association is having their annual show there so we're going to participate to help with the numbers but its hard for us to get away so we're not able to show as often as a lot of people.

When I go out (to cattle events) I wear my brown Wisteria Farms vest.... so if you see me be sure to say hello! I'm going to try to make it!

Knersie... I hope thats right... that once tested I can provide the original test results!! Thanks

I will have to look to see if it's for all fairs. It might just be for the expo since they have a lot out of state cattle...don't know but will check it out.
Won't be there sunday but will tomorrow.

BVD Testing was not required for the Illinois Beef Expo. We had cattle there to show and sale and they did not need to be tested. We did test a heifer that we took to Denver, same deal with the ear notch. However, I did not see another calf with it's ear notched. Talked to several people and they had just did a blood test. Haven't had a chance to question my vet yet but he told me previously the only way to test for BVD PI is the ear notch but as someone stated above it's a one time only deal.

No out of state cattle are allowed to show at the Illinois Beef Expo but still seemed like a huge show. Heifers didn't finish until well into the evening Sunday.

What you sell/show up there I saw the sim. and part of the angus sale, and didn't see any of the shows.

Yea never tested them before but have bought some that have.

Vet told me it was required for Illinois too... guess she was wrong! Or maybe she did cattle that were headed out of state...Anyway, missed the Beef Expo altogether...got our first calf of the season on Thursday which prompted the need to move everyone around. Took bull out of the cow pasture, moved the cows to drier ground, moved several bales out of lean-to (which is a bear to get in & out of right now as its so WET) etc. etc. Hate that I missed it... was looking forward it.

It was a lot of fun but really cold and wet so that was a bummer, but still lots of fun and lots of good free stuff and info.

We sold a couple of polled Hereford heifers and a bull. Showed two polled Hereford heifers as well. Weather was rainy and cold. I never even made it through the trade show.

I probably need to quantify my response for the BVD testing. The Hereford sale and junior show didn't require testing. I know the angus had additional requirements and others may have as well. The weather was misserable last year as well, I think a little colder even.

Latest posts