BVD and IBR in cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

ranchman42

Reaction score
BVD and IBR in cattle; Help!!!!!!!!!!
We Have lost calfs all were small 30 to 50 lbs. five were premture the last one lived a couple of hours. I had the vet do a post on that calf,....both the liver and lungs came back BVD and IBR postive.
Is thier any one that has had this problem ???????
Help>>.
Cows are all vaccined with bovi-sheild gold in the spring when we brand. Calfs get vaccined with Bovi-sheild at weaning and branding. As heifers (before breediing) the get atleast two shots of bovi-sheild Gold. Bulls get the same, 30 days before turn out.
I have for the most part a closed herd, except buying bulls. However 2years ago I feed the neghbors cows with mine.. '
Any advice would be good...
My vet wants me to test cows in the fall, at preg testing.. I think I should Should NOT wait that long.. take ear samples at branding. and sell those postive...
Also last year I had a 15% open rate twice as high as years past... would BVD contribute to this... ????
Thank you.. Desberate

yes, BVD can lead to an increased open rate because a lot of cows have early abortions. I agree that you should get testing done ASAP because those who are positive can shed it out to the rest of your herd. Talk with your vet to adjust your vacc. program to cover BVD.

i agree, get the testing done ASAP. Just work the herd gently if they are still pregnant.
If Bovishield is a ML with FP contact pfizer directly. This is a vaccination failure and they need to know. There might be help with this failure....just looked up it is. Contact Pfizer now.

Good luck and good job in contacting the vet

Vaccines are never 100% effective. You probably have some PI cows and I'd start today figuring out which ones they are and quarantining them.

LoveMoo11":32nl8tke said:
yes, BVD can lead to an increased open rate because a lot of cows have early abortions. I agree that you should get testing done ASAP because those who are positive can shed it out to the rest of your herd. Talk with your vet to adjust your vacc. program to cover BVD.
BoviShield Gold DOES cover BVD.
Sounds like you have a good health program. Sounds like you DON'T have a very interested VET.
I don't think there is anything you can do to help the unborn calves at this point. As suggested, I would test ASAP & ship all positives.
Need to light a fire under your vet - you need help NOW, not in the fall.

Latest posts