Buzzards and skunks

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I have a dead skunk by my gate. Been there for several days now and the buzzards haven't touched it. Always thought a buzzard would eat about anything but its own but it looks like they won't eat skunks either. Anyone ever noticed this?

Oddly I might be able to tell you for sure in a day or two.
I shot a skunk in the pasture today that was acting strange- its snowing so they might not find it till it melts. But I have a big enoguh buzzard problem that I'm sure we will know one way or the other.
Usually I bury potential rabies- but I wasn't going near that thing just in case it sprayed. It was in an empty field so I was hoping the buzzards would take care of it for me.

Had a skunk hit on the road 5 to 6 days ago and buzzards hadn't touched it till yesterday.I guess they wanted it to maranate and get the rot smell instead of the skunk smell.

Your buzzards must be picky. Arund here if you shoot a skunk and a cat and lay them side by side the skunk will be gone within a day, the cat will lay there for a week or more till it rots away

Skunks have about died out around here. Some folks think canine distemper got them. I've seen one in the past 10 years and smelled maybe two. One thing buzzards really like is armadillos. You can shoot an armadillo, throw him over in some gallberrys where you can't even see him and the next day there'll be a bunch of buzzards feasting away.

ga. prime":3a9f0x1n said:
One thing buzzards really like is armadillos.

With their hardshell they start to marinade in their own juice within minutes of dying. If you're going to have to move one do it as soon as you kill it, if you wait on hour or more it's real hard to get within picking up distance of them.

Howdyjabo, keep me posted on our "experiment". Don't know why but this has sparked my interest. With deer season out, the buzzzards here are pretty aggressive when it comes to dining opportunities so this seems strange. Maybe its like some are saying about it having to marinade a few days. This one has been laying by the gate for at least 4 days and nothing has touched it. I can't much blame the buzzards either for letting it lay.

dun":7t2nur6x said:
ga. prime":7t2nur6x said:
One thing buzzards really like is armadillos.

With their hardshell they start to marinade in their own juice within minutes of dying. If you're going to have to move one do it as soon as you kill it, if you wait on hour or more it's real hard to get within picking up distance of them.

Armadillo = Possum on the half shell. :lol2:

Ralphy6177":1m9m3l6e said:
Why would anyone shoot an Armadillo?

For starters to keep the cows from breaking legs in their holes/burrows.

TexasBred":1oow5zqi said:
Ralphy6177":1oow5zqi said:
Why would anyone shoot an Armadillo?

Ever see what "one" little diller can do to a well kept lawn in just one night?

Oh yea. It is much worse when you live out in the sticks. There are not as many dillers in the city.

The boss lady likes to water the front lawn. The water makes for easy digging in the summer. She was out late one night with the daughters. I was in the lawn chair with the Winchester, shovel and wheel barrel, watching television through the glass door from outside. By midnight I had 9 dillers in the wheel barrel. Problem solved. No more front lawn eyesores. The lawn was back to norm in a few weeks.

rusty":2irnvix4 said:
Jogee,
Maybe they know better than to land close to your gates.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Could be. They have learned my truck.

Skunk was still there today - untouched. I wonder if it was poisoned or something. :idea:

Speaking of skunks...my 2 little rat terriers....yesterday...mmm, mmm, mmm.

They got away from me when we were out walking. By the time I figured out where the barking was coming from, all they had was the smell and the tail and they were shaking that tail so hard I thought their heads would fly off. I never did find the rest of the skunk...really didn't look. Couldn't have seen it anyway my eyes were watering so badly.

This is the third time...you'd think they'd learn! Thank goodness for Dawn dish detergent. Worked well on all three of us...

Alice

I can attest that there is nothing worse than getting sprayed by a skunk. The smell you experience on the highway is at least 50 times less than what you experience at point blank range. And yeah, as a child I didn't listen well when there was a "fluffy pet" to be had. :oops:

BTW - skunk is still untouched today. :???:

Latest posts