buying weanded calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I would like to say I've gotten such great information from the topics I've read on here so now I have a question.
I want to buy about 5 head of cattle for my 20 acres of land that is almost knee deep in grass. Well because cattle prices are higher than what I can afford to pay i was looking at buying some calves from a local farmer. They are LonghornxBrahman and the other two are Longhornx with Angus and Jersey. These calves are around 6 months old what should I add to their deit, or should feed sweet feed, or anything at all.

Longhorns (in my opinion) are bought for their hornd, not for beef production. Are you looking to buy cattle that will sell well at the auction or cattle that will look pretty in the pasture?

I'm not the expert that a lot of the folks on the site are but what i do is feed a creep feed to my heifers until they are ready to bread (about 18 to 20 months old). They should do a lot of growing from 6 months to breading time.

We grow ours out on grass and free choice minerals and cube them once a week. If we are short on grass we give them hay and cube them 3 times a week.

txshowwoman I really look forward in reading what you have to say. To be honest I will keep the calves long enough to sell them as open heifers unless they give me an idea that they will be good mothers. I'm really buy and sell so I can get enough money to buy what I really want. And by the way I live in Houston.

If your primary point is to get the gass down, if you can buy them right, just about anything would work. May not be my first choice for breeds, but having them eat the grass and selling them is cheaper then the fuel it would take to brushhog the pasture.

dun

My grammar was off in the last reply. I ment txshowmom. and I messed up on the buying and selling part as well.

dun":14k0cld7 said:
If your primary point is to get the gass down, if you can buy them right, just about anything would work. May not be my first choice for breeds, but having them eat the grass and selling them is cheaper then the fuel it would take to brushhog the pasture.
dun
Dun, I missed it . What did he pay for them?

Dun, I got the land in hopes of raising cattle which has been one of the things I want to do in life. It's my passion. My breed of choice is hard to really pick for me between Angus and Brahman. What I may do is buy registered Angus and then cross it with one of JDHudgins bulls. I went to Clark Angus ranch Saturday and fell in love with the Angus all over again. Just can't afford to buy at that price just yet. I was told to buy calves and sell them after so long to make money. I don't know.

Yes I considered Brangus and looking at buying some. I guess that would be a good way of getting the two in one. Then I can use a Hereford bull and get Super Baldies. But I love the Brahman bull.

cattleman":dut7hx0o said:
Dun, I got the land in hopes of raising cattle which has been one of the things I want to do in life. It's my passion. My breed of choice is hard to really pick for me between Angus and Brahman. What I may do is buy registered Angus and then cross it with one of JDHudgins bulls. I went to Clark Angus ranch Saturday and fell in love with the Angus all over again. Just can't afford to buy at that price just yet. I was told to buy calves and sell them after so long to make money. I don't know.

Don

I don't know your location but unless your pasture is warm season grasses the feed value isn't at it's highest point right now. Anytime grasses start to go to seed (reproductive) they feed values suffer.
Since you don't want/can't spend the BIG bucks it takes right now to get going with good quality cattle, anything to mow the grass would be better then nothing. You may have to look at the short term solution ffor a while before you're in a position to start the long term plan. Around here it's Herefords that are usually cheaper by a lot then any of the other main breeds. Holstein steers used to be pretty cheap, but now most of the dairys are keeping them and raaising them to sell themselves. Pretty much if it can be called beef it's gonna bring decent money.

dun

dun":14nkcm9w said:
If your primary point is to get the gass down, if you can buy them right, just about anything would work. but having them eat the grass and selling them is cheaper then the fuel it would take to brushhog the pasture.

dun

Dun
What do you call buying them right.

la4angus":15o62o00 said:
dun":15o62o00 said:
If your primary point is to get the gass down, if you can buy them right, just about anything would work. but having them eat the grass and selling them is cheaper then the fuel it would take to brushhog the pasture.

dun

Dun
What do you call buying them right.

Below what the equivilent would go for at the salebarn. No commision, no check off, no transportation or any of the other fees that are usual at the local salebarn.
Salebarn charges can vary so much by individual facilitys. One near here charges a vet and yardage fee no matter how long they're at the barn before sale. Anohter a short ditance away only charges commision and check-off unless they're there over 24 hours.

dun

[/quote]Dun, I got the land in hopes of raising cattle which has been one of the things I want to do in life. It's my passion. My breed of choice is hard to really pick for me between Angus and Brahman. What I may do is buy registered Angus and then cross it with one of JDHudgins bulls. I went to Clark Angus ranch Saturday and fell in love with the Angus all over again. Just can't afford to buy at that price just yet. I was told to buy calves and sell them after so long to make money. I don't know.
Sound like you have a good plan. Angus cows make good mamas and its hard to beat a JD Hudgins bull. They should make some nice Brahman show steers for you to market as well.
[/code]

Latest posts