Buying vs making hay

Help Support CattleToday:

I always bought by the roll, some rolls were heavy some lighter. It didn't matter because the deal was by the roll. Take a roll and weigh it at your local grain elevator or warehouse.

True Grit Farms":z03k1ijs said:
I always bought by the roll, some rolls were heavy some lighter. It didn't matter because the deal was by the roll. Take a roll and weigh it at your local grain elevator or warehouse.

It's sold by the roll here too. I just converted to a per ton price for comparison purposes. The two previous posts are the only way I know to weigh it also. I actually use the scales at a local timber "pole" plant.

It's easy to tell a heavy roll hay. I have a lead on a good low count 468 JD net wrap in excellent shape. Hopefully I can get it bought right. It should only take about 20 years to get my monies worth out of it.

True Grit Farms":2vashryw said:
It's easy to tell a heavy roll hay. I have a lead on a good low count 468 JD net wrap in excellent shape. Hopefully I can get it bought right. It should only take about 20 years to get my monies worth out of it.
If lack of aggravation and ease of baling is worth anything. Compared to an older baler it will pay for itself a lot sooner.

That my thoughts also Dun. I guess I'm nuts because I enjoy cutting and baling hay. The one I have now is a manual string tie. And my neck doesn't swivel like it once did.

I've never put up my own hay even when I used thousands of rolls a year. Just too much better to be able to check out several hay sources, prices and "quality" of hay and buy what works best for me.

True Grit Farms":s4ps48ef said:

If you don't buy it TG, let me know. I'm interested.

If you are a full timer or retired then the difference in quality might be worth putting up your own. A part timer like me will never be able to make putting up your own pencil out. I can haul more bought hay in a weekend than I would be able to put up in a week if I was off. Plus feed is cheap around here.

TennesseeTuxedo":21voqrwz said:
Is "yaw" a product of spell check?

Naw........

One word answers are rude according to my mother. Sorry about how that.