buying shares in registered cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Never done it because of the variables. Who will actually have posession, how well do you trust their managment skills, who makes decisions on breeding, how much is your 1/3 going to cost to feed? Those are the questions that have made me shy away from it.

dun":1ukaodrd said:
Never done it because of the variables. Who will actually have posession, how well do you trust their managment skills, who makes decisions on breeding, how much is your 1/3 going to cost to feed? Those are the questions that have made me shy away from it.

The trust problem is NOT a problem but the other questions you pose are ones I thought of as well.

it has been done sucessfully.i have a friend that id buy into cattle with in a heartbeat.but you need to ask a few things.are the said cows doners.what is the profit splitt.as well as calf splitt.

No, I've never done it. But it is something personally i'd shy away from. I don't like the idea on not owning something out right. I have raised cattle on shares with one of my brothers, and I wasn't a fan of doing it.

Years ago when i was Ranch Manager for a mid size ranch in Texas. We (owner) bought half interest in a bull that greatly improved our cow herd. We had the bull on the ranch 6 months and the other owner had him 6 months. We shared in Vet cost, and we collected him 4 times and split the straws and cost of collection 50/50
It worked great for us as when we (owners) resold the bull at 5 yrs old he brought $18,000 and money was split 50/50
Now not saying it works for every one but do your home work and draw up a contract that is agreeable to all parties

I think if you trust the person the rest can be worked out. Get it all on paper from A to Z. Could be a really good thing for you or could be a really bad thing. I think with any contractuall thing there is a chance things could go wrong or things could really work out for the best. How is this any different that guys buying 1/2 interest or 1/4 interest in bulls. Work it out on paper. Watched a little of the SVF sale today; there was a lot of interest selling goin on there.

Latest posts