• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

buying shares in registered cattle

tncattle

Reaction score
Anyone do this? I have a chance to buy some 1/3 shares in some registered Angus.

dun

Reaction score
Never done it because of the variables. Who will actually have posession, how well do you trust their managment skills, who makes decisions on breeding, how much is your 1/3 going to cost to feed? Those are the questions that have made me shy away from it.

tncattle

Reaction score
dun":1ukaodrd said:
Never done it because of the variables. Who will actually have posession, how well do you trust their managment skills, who makes decisions on breeding, how much is your 1/3 going to cost to feed? Those are the questions that have made me shy away from it.

The trust problem is NOT a problem but the other questions you pose are ones I thought of as well.

bigbull338

Reaction score
it has been done sucessfully.i have a friend that id buy into cattle with in a heartbeat.but you need to ask a few things.are the said cows doners.what is the profit splitt.as well as calf splitt.

FarmGirl10

Reaction score
No, I've never done it. But it is something personally i'd shy away from. I don't like the idea on not owning something out right. I have raised cattle on shares with one of my brothers, and I wasn't a fan of doing it.

BamaCowboy

Reaction score
Years ago when i was Ranch Manager for a mid size ranch in Texas. We (owner) bought half interest in a bull that greatly improved our cow herd. We had the bull on the ranch 6 months and the other owner had him 6 months. We shared in Vet cost, and we collected him 4 times and split the straws and cost of collection 50/50
It worked great for us as when we (owners) resold the bull at 5 yrs old he brought $18,000 and money was split 50/50
Now not saying it works for every one but do your home work and draw up a contract that is agreeable to all parties

TB-Herefords

Reaction score
I think if you trust the person the rest can be worked out. Get it all on paper from A to Z. Could be a really good thing for you or could be a really bad thing. I think with any contractuall thing there is a chance things could go wrong or things could really work out for the best. How is this any different that guys buying 1/2 interest or 1/4 interest in bulls. Work it out on paper. Watched a little of the SVF sale today; there was a lot of interest selling goin on there.

Latest posts