BUYING/SELECTING REGISTERED CATTLE

Help Support CattleToday:

herfdog

Reaction score
I HAVE A FEW COMMERCIAL HEREFORD COWS BUT WAS THINKING OF BUYING A REGISTERED HEREFORD COW OR HEIFER SO I HAVE SOME TYPE OF RECORDS FOR THE CATTLE. THEN SLOWLY SELL OFF THE COMMERCIAL AND HAVE ALL REGISTERED. I AI THEM SO I COULD BREED ANY BULL I CAN GET SEMEN FROM. SHOULD I BE LOOKING AT THE EPD'S WHEN SELECTING OR PEDIGREE OR BOTH ANY HELP WHOULD BE HELPFUL THANKS

Look at both and just as important is pheotype. With EPDs look back several generations on both sides and see if there is a problem possibly lurking in the background.

dun is right look at the epds an bloodlines as far back as you can.you need to decide the bloodline you want to start with.an what your breeding the cattle for.bottomline is this you want functional cattle.an they must fitt your program.

I WOULD BE KEEPING ANY HIEFER CALVES FOR REPLACEMENTS
AND SELLING A BULL. SO I WOULD BE LOOKING FOR GOOD MILKING,HIGH WW YW M&G LOWER BIRTH WIEGHTS
ANY SUGESTIONS ON WHAT POLLED BLOOD LINE A SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR. THANKS

herfdog":3riqhaur said:
I HAVE A FEW COMMERCIAL HEREFORD COWS BUT WAS THINKING OF BUYING A REGISTERED HEREFORD COW OR HEIFER SO I HAVE SOME TYPE OF RECORDS FOR THE CATTLE. THEN SLOWLY SELL OFF THE COMMERCIAL AND HAVE ALL REGISTERED. I AI THEM SO I COULD BREED ANY BULL I CAN GET SEMEN FROM. SHOULD I BE LOOKING AT THE EPD'S WHEN SELECTING OR PEDIGREE OR BOTH ANY HELP WHOULD BE HELPFUL THANKS

Both, but before you make the change to registered, consider where/how you will market the registered animals you produce. Will you have a production sale? Private treaty? Take them to the sale barn? Will they be show animals? Raising registered stock is not that hard anymore. Marketing is more difficult. Plan to attend some registered Hereford sales in the spring, talk to breeder, see how sales are run before you make the decision.

On the other hand, it might be easier to make breeding decisions for your commercial herd if you have production records or EPDs on each cow. Good luck....

As has been warned about a zillion times, highe WW, YW, Milk requires a very good source of feed. Those 3 things are sure not free. I would look to average to slightly above for your first registered cows then adjust from there. Those high YW in cows generally means an increase in frame size which means more grocerys to maintain them

i think you can register percentage animals with the Red Angus Association. If you AI to a purebred, you can register the 50% calf that way and not throw away the work you have done so far.

fyi - i could be completely wrong about this; i am just going off of memory here.

Aero":3te34s84 said:
i think you can register percentage animals with the Red Angus Association. If you AI to a purebred, you can register the 50% calf that way and not throw away the work you have done so far.

fyi - i could be completely wrong about this; i am just going off of memory here.

Correct. The RA association has a grading up program.

dun":38peytlb said:
Aero":38peytlb said:

Correct. The RA association has a grading up program.

where can i find a list of breeds they recognize in their database? what if i have no intention of using a RA animal but just want a registry for my animals. will they do that?

May be going sideways here but if you want to move over to a registered herd faster. You might consider buying embryoys and put them into your current herd. You could even buy sexed embryos.

I like Felton 517 descendants. Now own half interest in my second grandson of MSU Hudson 19H, who is out of MSU WNH Feltons 5, who was sired by 517. It is my opinion that they tend to be lower BW, easy keeping cattle with some carcass quality.

My current model has a touch of Braxton Giant on the bottom side, which doesn't hurt BW either.

Thanks to you guys on here I am deciding to go through the spring in attending production sales and visiting angus operations and take all their inputs in before I spend a dime.

Frankie":amfroyje said:
herfdog":amfroyje said:

Both, but before you make the change to registered, consider where/how you will market the registered animals you produce. Will you have a production sale? Private treaty? Take them to the sale barn? Will they be show animals? Raising registered stock is not that hard anymore. Marketing is more difficult. Plan to attend some registered Hereford sales in the spring, talk to breeder, see how sales are run before you make the decision.

On the other hand, it might be easier to make breeding decisions for your commercial herd if you have production records or EPDs on each cow. Good luck....

Aero":76nt9wg3 said:
where can i find a list of breeds they recognize in their database? what if i have no intention of using a RA animal but just want a registry for my animals. will they do that?

I don;t understand the question

greenwillowhereford II":17bu9kxw said:
I like Felton 517 descendants. Now own half interest in my second grandson of MSU Hudson 19H, who is out of MSU WNH Feltons 5, who was sired by 517. It is my opinion that they tend to be lower BW, easy keeping cattle with some carcass quality.

My current model has a touch of Braxton Giant on the bottom side, which doesn't hurt BW either.

That MSU Hudson is a good one, I can tell you that.

Aero - breeds that "upgrade" do not care what "other" breed is used, although they expect you to report to them what breed/breeds the dam may be. But, they only handle their own breed as being one of the matings.
With the Simmental breed, you can use a reg bull OR a reg dam in the upgrading program (with some restrictions). But, they will also let you list your commercial cattle on your herd reports.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1gyxrzwi said:
Aero - breeds that "upgrade" do not care what "other" breed is used, although they expect you to report to them what breed/breeds the dam may be. But, they only handle their own breed as being one of the matings.
With the Simmental breed, you can use a reg bull OR a reg dam in the upgrading program (with some restrictions). But, they will also let you list your commercial cattle on your herd reports.

I think the Red Angus Assn also maintains the records for the Angus Plus breed. Maybe that's what he's referring to?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":nvkvupr8 said:

Exactly, Hereford won't sell you a registration cert on a non Registered Hereford but they will let you keep your records on all of your cows (Hereford or not) through them for a fee of course.

dun":2bbgcdfg said:
Aero":2bbgcdfg said:

i mean will they just host a registry for me? Is every animal I register with them required to be a percentage of RA? I guess my black Angus animals technically are Red Angus ;-)

I need a place to register my purebred Angus and Aubrac animals together. EPDs would be a nice bonus. :)

Aero":285jsq0z said:
dun":285jsq0z said:
Aero":285jsq0z said:

i mean will they just host a registry for me? Is every animal I register with them required to be a percentage of RA? I guess my black Angus animals technically are Red Angus ;-)

I need a place to register my purebred Angus and Aubrac animals together. EPDs would be a nice bonus. :)

In looking at the Red Angus site, they do maintain the Angus Plus breed.

http://www.redangus.org/

Several years ago the Noble Foundation found someone to register their line of cattle. They provided EPDs. Have you done an internet search for a registry that will work with you?

http://www.noble.org/Press_Release/Ag/N ... /index.htm

Or, if you can wait a while, the Angus Assn may be getting into that business. For better or worse. :?:

Aero":1ceijc9v said:
dun":1ceijc9v said:
Aero":1ceijc9v said:

If they're registered Angus they can be registered as such just a (I believe) Catefory 3, i.e. disqualifying characteristics - black. Rahter then heresay, email Kenda Ponder [email protected]. She's the head cheese in the resgistration department and can and is more then willing to answer any and all questions.

Latest posts