buying round bales ..taste?

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
so I bought 10 rolls a few wks ago...cows ate every spec even off the ground...could not get ahold of this guy again after days of trying so I went with a different guy closer ..same price...they wont hardly eat it..they are..but they aren't tearing it to shreds like the first 10 rolls....roll last 3-4 days...I think these will probly go a week or more...

what do ya do when this happens and how do ya know when youre going to buy it...they are both red hermathia...clean..good looking fertilized hay without alotta weeds/stems...

once ya own it...?

I have experienced the same thing this year. I bought some hay, that they actually wouldn't eat at all. It's still out in the field. Figured they'd bed down it, and never did. Bought some they eat very slowly. In the end, it was why I made it to spring. Starting tomorrow, I will be back to feeding my hay. I already know consumption will be shoot up, but I should have enough to make it.

guy told me that he hasn't ever heard anyone complain of it and then proceeded to lecture me on how much a cow eats per day..after he got don't I told him his way 20 cows 6 calfs and a bull should kill that roll in less than 2 days.....like the ones I bought before these.....ugh...whatever..they gotta eat em now..was funny tho

everyone who sells bad hay says they have " never had anyone complain"

they've never had "anyone come back" either.

It's funny how things like that work. We ran out of hay, and are getting some from a neighbor. He said his cows aren't eating it very good, but I can't tell a difference in consumption in ours. The only thing I can think of is that we've been feeding triticale for years now, and this was his first year on it. They may not like the stemmier hay, theyre used to fescue hay.

dieselbeef":147934ww said:
so I bought 10 rolls a few wks ago...cows ate every spec even off the ground...could not get ahold of this guy again after days of trying so I went with a different guy closer ..same price...they wont hardly eat it..they are..but they aren't tearing it to shreds like the first 10 rolls....roll last 3-4 days...I think these will probly go a week or more...

what do ya do when this happens and how do ya know when youre going to buy it...they are both red hermathia...clean..good looking fertilized hay without alotta weeds/stems...

once ya own it...?
It would be interesting to see a sample of each tested to compare and see what the difference was for future reference.
My guess is the NDF was a lot lower on the stuff they loved or perhaps moisture content effected the taste...
But without sample/testing it's just speculation.

I've sold a lot of lower quality hay the last couple years, some sight unseen. I've always made sure that the buyer and I were on the same page as to what the hay was and never had any trouble. There were a few interested people that I had to tell the hay wouldn't work for them when I realized we weren't on the same page or it wasn't appropriate hay for their use.

Allenw":13vosvw2 said:
I've sold a lot of lower quality hay the last couple years, some sight unseen. I've always made sure that the buyer and I were on the same page as to what the hay was and never had any trouble. There were a few interested people that I had to tell the hay wouldn't work for them when I realized we weren't on the same page or it wasn't appropriate hay for their use.
You will sell more hay in long run by being honest :tiphat:

This year I have hay made from the same field on the same day and one bale the cows will eat every last bit and lick the snow clean underneath it, then a few of the bales they will maybe pick through and hardly touch. It's strange the field is very uniform in its composition with it mostly being trefoil and Timothy. Even when it's -30 and I don't feed them hoping they will clean it up they will stand there and starve and not eat the hay. I took a bale that had been in the lot untouched for 2 weeks by my cows and fed it to a neighbor's cows and his cleaned it up in no time flat. They are strange critters.

Latest posts