Buying on the hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

Hi,long time lurker here, figured I might as well pipe in eventually.
I am curious as well as I have a few angus bredback to longhorn and have been trying to decide if they would be good eating.
Also a neighbour has two two year old open purebred longhorn heifers that he has used predominately for roping. He's selling them for very cheap but I am curious if the might be tougher as they have been run around a lot...he says no, but he also wants to sell them haha
I have eaten several that were either roping or penning longhorn calves. I usually turn them on grass for several months then on feed and grass for a couple months before slaughter. I love the taste and so do many others

Poor longhorns-work until they can't work, then eat, then become dinner guests😆. I do have a question though about dealing with horn length at processors. The two I use have a chute-hold, I can't see longer sets getting in there easily. Maybe at 18-24 months they still aren't bad enough to matter?

Poor longhorns-work until they can't work, then eat, then become dinner guests😆. I do have a question though about dealing with horn length at processors. The two I use have a chute-hold, I can't see longer sets getting in there easily. Maybe at 18-24 months they still aren't bad enough to matter?
Exactly. At that age it's usually not an issue

Latest posts