BUYING NEW PLACE... ANY ADVICE???

Help Support CattleToday:

SaskHerf

Reaction score
We are looking at relocating just 20 miles or so from where we are right now....

We haven't owned our place we have now long, but i have found a place that offers more room for expansion.

My question for all you people is; what should i be looking for in this new place... things that might not work, future problems to look out for, good things too.

It's about 800 acres and we will be running cattle on it, as we are with the place we currently have.

thanks in advance.

Questions I ask myself:

Does it have water in the way of ponds or even if there is a good place for them if they are not there already.

Water and electric availability for your home.

Are there easements on the property?

Does it flood? Is there a spot to build a house?

Down here we get clear title by the way of a Title Policy. Make sure you get something like that.

What type of restrictions are on the place?

Any minerals? A plus if it has them.

Look at all the property. I have found that some real estate agents will take you away from the bad part. Try to not let you see that.

All I can think of right now.

What part of Saskatchewan?
The main thing I would look for is if you can make the transition immediately and start your operation as usual without having to do alot of extra work like fencing ,drilling ,wells and running power and water.However if it is a good price and you are paying under market value than it doesn't really matter to much as long as you have the revenue and time to make improvements.
Good luck on the move,I hate moving in 5 years we moved 8 different times thank goodnes we were just statring out and didn't really own to much.

GET THE MINERAL RIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you don't,you will wind up like a lot of folks here~ At the bottom of a strip mine....

Water supply (for humans and animals)-- and what happens upon loss of power...

...and water rights to go with it!