Buying Land

Help Support CattleToday:

wow this has kinda got off subject.... how can a guy like me who is young afford to buy a farm in the future when prices always are going up, and farming is my desire...?

Beef08":36mvp54j said:
wow this has kinda got off subject.... how can a guy like me who is young afford to buy a farm in the future when prices always are going up, and farming is my desire...?

I know it sounds silly.
But plan your work and work your plan.

Save, buy right, and work hard.
it will always turn out.
No matter the economy.

good point REDFORNOW. This is off the subject, I need some suggestions for College Majors in Agriculture...and if you name a major list some jobs that the major qualifies you for.

Beef08":v0dy13sj said:
good point REDFORNOW. This is off the subject, I need some suggestions for College Majors in Agriculture...and if you name a major list some jobs that the major qualifies you for.

My 2 cents would be anything to do with enviromental, it is getting where everything you want or need to do is regulated in some way and looks to be getting more so.

Caustic Burno":2v5sjatg said:
Beef08":2v5sjatg said:

My 2 cents would be anything to do with enviromental, it is getting where everything you want or need to do is regulated in some way and looks to be getting more so.

:nod:

If you just have to get an AG degree (nothing wrong with that at all)
Do that and get a minor in business.
Opens alot of doors outside of Ag world and you still have options inside farming also.

Red

Beef08":3gfzqmiy said:

Being from where I am from...HYDROLOGY! :roll: :lol2:

Learn some science - biology, forestry, animal science, land management, (real estate???) plant science, soils etc etc etc

what about Agribusiness? Ag Information Science ? or Integrated Crop Management? anybody know anything bout these?

O yea, and also real estate. Anyone know anything bout it? Like maybe selling Farms or Hunting Land..
Or what about Forestry?

Beef08":2j34e7zo said:

Agronomy-study of palnts grown for ag use, my neighbors son has a degree in htis, he works at FSA now, but is very useful in running a farm also.

Animal nutrition-Working in feed choices, most of the local MFA's big feed companies hire these people

Animal Technican woking in the Veterinary Field, or Research Lab

Veterinary medicne, tons of places to work, private, research, feed cmpanies, drug companies, etc...

Just some I can think of off the top of my head.

GMN

Beef08":2rd5y1nt said:

I didn't get off subject. I meant it.

Just dawned on me what you need to do, become a large animal vet. EPeople whine about the shortage of good ones, jump in and do it.

dun":uwil8yes said:
Just dawned on me what you need to do, become a large animal vet. EPeople whine about the shortage of good ones, jump in and do it.

Great advise dun!! If this young man has the tenacity and work ethic to get into Vet school he would become a valuable commodity.

My advice is to start saving off the top as mentioned but start studying listings in the paper, on the e-net, and talk with Realtors (know your market). Then after you think you got a grasp start looking for "deals"... people in a bind, ect... The more money you have built up obviously the better. When low-balling some one they want to know you have the finances

IF you pay these inflated prices like $3500+/ acre you could be looking at some disagpointment if/ when land values drop in the future,,, which they are/ will. There is a recession coming, it will be global. When? WHo knows...

Now if you pay $2K or less you are sitting good because land is most likely not going to go below that. It will fluctuate some but not totally drop to nothing.

As some one mentioned there is alot of land advertised as these high amounts but it is not necessarily selling at that. They are going for the big bait attracts big fish kind of deal. Start making educated offers, it costs you nothing to offer. IF some one bites great, if not move on. Good deals come when not bought in haste.

These are just kind of numbers out of this area, probably will vary in your area but the point is the same.

Latest posts