Buying Interest In A Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

vs_cattle":2ltc72ps said:
What To Look For When Buying Interst In A Bull Just Semen Rights

Buy one from a well known reputable breeder. Half the battle will already be won.

If not, be prepared to spend mega bucks on promotion.

vs_cattle":36tkk2bu said:
What To Look For When Buying Interst In A Bull Just Semen Rights

First, look for what it's going to cost you for collection, storage, bull maintenance, transportation, promotion. Then look honestly at the potential for semen sales.

It gives you the right to use a bull and not have to purchase any non-owner bull permits when registering calves. Not all breeds have this. The Red Angus Association has it, and it will ussually cost you $35 to $40 to register offspring if purchasing semen and then bull permits.

If you are buying a bull hoping to sell semen, that is ussually all the farther it goes. Hoping... The competition is really tough in the semen business when Genex, ABS, & Select Sires will drive into your yard and fill your tanks with nitrogen and deliver the semen as well. If you sell some privately the purchaser will ussually have to pay for shipping and that will cost around $70.

I recommend that you buy one to use and then maybe you can sell some semen as well.

I'm a commercial breeder but I've partnered on a few bulls over the years. Mostly because if I see one I think I need I want to make sure I get him bought. We do alot of A'I'ing so I usually don't worry too much about the walking rights to the bull. As for getting rich off semen sales it's a pretty tough deal on your own-I get alot of guys phoning me trying to dump semen they collected but can't sell. I got lucky and leased my Horned Hereford bull to Genex this year so we'll see how that goes. Check him out at braevallivestock.com.

Latest posts