Buying Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":2lkxcwha said:
i found a new jd 458 baler for $15,600.so the baler pay off would be 2yrs at 300 bales a yr.based on $25 a bale.an you still say 300 bales aint enough.cutter will take 1yr to pay for.rake pay for in 1 cutting.but hey we all think differant.

If you found a brand new 458 for $15,600 you better go buy it and just resell it for $20,000 or more cause a well used 458 will bring more than that price :bs: :bs:
are you sure your not smoking some of USCAngus's MMP

Caustic Burno":1ziglw6e said:
1982vett":1ziglw6e said:
dun":1ziglw6e said:
Nobody into consideration the value of the recreation of haying. If you would be out going to a flick or going to dinner, taking a vacation etc., haying becomes a reasonably priced alternative!
Isn't that why we do this cattle thing anyway.....most of us dam sure aren't making aliving from it (apart from the tax reasons what else could it be).....AND I DID SAY MOST...

When it comes to baling hay a hay baler could make a preacher cuss. I have always prayed if I get to heaven the good Lord doesn't punish me, by making me bale his hay field for eternity with my old Krone baler.
:shock: Caustic...you just sent shivers down my spine... Now that would be just unbelievable...but he would probably have me helping you. :lol:

Angus Cowman":vyzck8zk said:
bigbull338":vyzck8zk said:
i found a new jd 458 baler for $15,600.so the baler pay off would be 2yrs at 300 bales a yr.based on $25 a bale.an you still say 300 bales aint enough.cutter will take 1yr to pay for.rake pay for in 1 cutting.but hey we all think differant.

If you found a brand new 458 for $15,600 you better go buy it and just resell it for $20,000 or more cause a well used 458 will bring more than that price :bs: :bs:
are you sure your not smoking some of USCAngus's MMP

ROLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is no free lunch. buying vs. owning equipment could go on and on. Personal I feel if you are either very young and lack capital or on the other end of the specturm "retire age" buying is the way to go. If your going to be in this business for 20-30 yrs I feel owning is the way to go. assuming your not a hobbie farmer.

Drought! Ever try to buy hay when one is going on? Not pretty and you might find yourself culling your herd deeper than you care to!

Have you ever been on the end of the list of a custom operator when the rain clouds come rolling in? When you own your equipment you get out there when it needs to be down rather than when the guy gets there.

As far as trends. I'm kind of bucking them here in the middle of corn country. Last few yrs I've seeded corn ground to Pasture rather than tearing the pasture up for corn. Last yr. I seeded 80 acres to alalfa. I know, I know corn prices are high. Ever price a new planter or combine?? :roll:

regenwether":1rmnejtm said:
There is no free lunch. buying vs. owning equipment could go on and on. Personal I feel if you are either very young and lack capital or on the other end of the specturm "retire age" buying is the way to go. If your going to be in this business for 20-30 yrs I feel owning is the way to go. assuming your not a hobbie farmer.

Drought! Ever try to buy hay when one is going on? Not pretty and you might find yourself culling your herd deeper than you care to!

Have you ever been on the end of the list of a custom operator when the rain clouds come rolling in? When you own your equipment you get out there when it needs to be down rather than when the guy gets there.

As far as trends. I'm kind of bucking them here in the middle of corn country. Last few yrs I've seeded corn ground to Pasture rather than tearing the pasture up for corn. Last yr. I seeded 80 acres to alalfa. I know, I know corn prices are high. Ever price a new planter or combine?? :roll:

Interesting points. Another way of looking at it for me with very limited land is that buying hay is a way of buying land, sort of. By buying hay I can use all of my limited acres for grazing. I recently had the opportunity to buy some nearby acres but at the price per acre there was no way I could rationalize that for hay. It was not adjoining my current acres so rotational grazing would be difficult also no water or fences. So I passed on it. You don't need a mortgage nor pay real estate taxes on purchased hay. So my goal is to raise as many pounds of beef in the box as possible from my existing acres. Buying hay rather than growing it effectively increases the size of my farm without increasing debt or taxes. Jmho. Jim

i just talked to my neice an she said her bf was trying to decide if he wanted to sell more hay.because he had a guy call wanting 200 bales of hay.the guy offered him $55 a bale,an his hay is either 4 by 5 or 4 by 6 bales.he has 400 bales.i told her to tell him to keep the hay.

I put up 200 4x6 rolls a year and have my own equipment. If you want it done you probably need to do it yourself. My cost for Johnson grass hay is about $20/ton. I'll admit baler parts for my JD435 cost me a fortune this year.

If I wasn't baling hay I would be cutting firewood in the summer as opposed to cutting it in the winter at night in the freezing cold...using the mule headlights as my only light source after I get done feeding hay. But..I get to drink beer the entire time!

shaz said:
I put up 200 4x6 rolls a year and have my own equipment. If you want it done you probably need to do it yourself. quote]
That is BS most custom guys I know including myself but up better hay than most owners probably 90% of the time because it is what we do for a living and most small guys that own equipment do it while trying to squeeze it in between a day job
I am not talking about the guy that has a job in town and him and his buddies bale hay at nite and on the weekends to make a few extra dollars
I am talking full time custom baling guys who do it for a big part of their living
I don't understand how you guys can bale hay so cheap
I guess I need you to come and show me how the numbers work as I guess the wife and I have been doing it wrong for along time
maybe while you guys are at it it you can tell me how you can produce calves and maintain cows for a $200 pr yr
maybe it is that NEW math I have been hearing about

also how many of you guys that bale your hay and don't fertilize know what the quality of that hay is and what kind of production pr acre do you acheive on a longterm basis with NO inputs

Angus Cowman":kxklxlf0 said:
shaz":kxklxlf0 said:
I put up 200 4x6 rolls a year and have my own equipment. If you want it done you probably need to do it yourself. quote]
That is BS most custom guys I know including myself but up better hay than most owners probably 90% of the time because it is what we do for a living and most small guys that own equipment do it while trying to squeeze it in between a day job
I am not talking about the guy that has a job in town and him and his buddies bale hay at nite and on the weekends to make a few extra dollars
I am talking full time custom baling guys who do it for a big part of their living
I guess I need you to come and show me how the numbers work as I guess the wife and I have been doing it wrong for along time
maybe while you guys are at it it you can tell me how you can produce calves and maintain cows for a $200 pr yr

also how many of you guys that bale your hay and don't fertilize know what the quality of that hay is and what kind of production pr acre do you acheive on a longterm basis with NO inputs

Bigbull has been trying to show and tell you how to do it. Why can't you listen! :roll: :lol: :lol:

Angus Cowman":23l07zm2 said:
curtis":23l07zm2 said:
Bigbull has been trying to show and tell you how to do it. Why can't you listen! :roll: :lol: :lol:
I want a hands on demonstration :lol: :lol:
Nope, his hands are to busy playing with butch. :lol: :lol:

AC i know you can make money doing what you do,an thats great.but how meny guys do you bale for that puts up 500 bales a year or more.i know guys that charge $25 a bale for 4 by 6 bales.an i wont pay $25 for a guy that has a 5 by 6 baler.

Angus Cowman":uc3s78ac said:
shaz":uc3s78ac said:

I didn't read that he made better hay than anyone. Perhaps there aren't any custom balers in his area that would do his 200 rolls.

fitz

Angus Cowman, why don't we settle this and you bring your equipment and put up my hay while I go fishing. You can do it for me for free but you and I will know what it costs. :lol2:

I fertilize my hay every year. Last year limed everything also. I treat it as any other cash crop on the farm.

Why are people getting so worked up about this? We are delt with a different hand of cards. We're all playing what we are delt. I don't fault anyone for doing something different.

see thats what i dont understand thats roughly $12,500 going out every year an it never stops.thats why we dont see things the same.if im gonna be shucking out that much money i want something to show for it.