buying hay equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

well I got my equipment delivered today. It was $25,100 for baler,rake and cutter. The baler and rake are vermeer. The cutter is Kuhn. For the first 18 months they will come to the field and service for free anything that breaksdown. After that it is a small service fee for them to come to the farm. I bought new because I can't fix anything, but they can. I am doing it because I enjoy it. I also know where my hay comes from and when it was produced. I need over 600 bales per year. Anything over that will be stored. If all else fails and I hate it, I will have some slighlty used equipment for sale. It won't be a complete loss, plus land values are increasing by the day.

plb...,

Nice equipment.

A good hay field is a a hot dry hay field....hopefully with a breeze blowing.

It is fun when everything goes well.

Be safe ...and enjoy.

dun":2vd0ji69 said:
preston39":2vd0ji69 said:
It is fun when everything goes well.

But boring

Hay season is one time I'd love to be bored!!

Good work plb, sounds like you got good value and that 18 month repair deal is almost unheard of.
Don't underestimate what you can do with a wrench. Read the manuals and get to know where all your shear bolts are, have extras handy, and the proper wrenches on the tractor to repair things.

Know the adjustments on belts and chains header height etc..

And above all,like preston says - be careful - when a pto or feed rotor grabs you, there is little hope of succesful countermeasure, and the machine has no mercy or pity.

ALX

I know all about the PTO deal. i was using a post hole digger a couple years ago. It was windy as all get out. I got down to rock the post hole digger, it was dry and my blades were dull. I turned to get into the tractor and the wind was blowing so hard it blew the back of my shirt into the PTO shaft. It pulled me into it pretty fast. I pushed away just as my long sleeve t-shirt was ripped off me. It left me bruised and a little cut up. If I would have had a thick shirt on, I hate to think of what would have happened. i will never go near a live PTO shaft again.

Latest posts