Buying first load of hay tomorrow for the year

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
I talked to a local producer on Saturday. He has gone up from $40/roll to $60 this year. He said that when is all said and done he will have more than $50 in each roll. He also bales over 2,000 square bales of Orchard grass. He is going up to $10 per bale. But that is mainly horse hay and to quote him "The price is the last thing that horse people ask".

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Grass hay prices have gone higher here than they were this winter. A very late spring and low hay inventory and many droughty pastures were overgrazed last year...

A lot of our midsized TMR herds truck in some of their winter feed. Beet byproduct is still available, but $5.40 diesel is causing pain. I don't think this model will work well this year for those who are not close to a sugar plant.

Bred prices have not jumped up like many expected. I think folks are holding, until they know what their 2022-2023 hay inventory is. My base plan is to reduce the herd 15 to 20% more this fall. Prevent plant is a wild card.

Last edited:

Dave

Reaction score
I have seen a little alfalfa hitting the ground. The rumor is they are asking $300 a ton fob the stack. It takes roughly 2 ton per cow here for the winter. I don't care who is pushing the pencil that just doesn't work.

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have seen a little alfalfa hitting the ground. The rumor is they are asking $300 a ton fob the stack. It takes roughly 2 ton per cow here for the winter. I don't care who is pushing the pencil that just doesn't work.
What kind of cows get alfalfa hay?

Dave

Reaction score
What kind of cows get alfalfa hay?
Here they get 5-10 pounds of Alfalfa a day. The rest is grass hay or some other edible form of roughage. Our cheapest source of protein by a long ways. Lots of alfalfa raised under irrigation in rotation with potatoes. The best of it goes to export or dairies. But a lot ends up being feeder quality (rained on, stemy, over ripe, etc.) that goes to the beef cows.

chevytaHOE5674

Reaction score
Wow at $25 a roll id buy everything I could and keep my equipment parked if possible. Last year I was selling 4x5s for double that, and this year will be even more. Hes losing money for sure.

Latest posts