Buying cows

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
First, I buy cows. Sometimes lots of cows. Some off the farm and some off the markets. Since last Friday I have had more calls from people wanting to sell out than I have had in months. I have bought 47 so far this week and have made an offer on several more.
Everyone has lots of pasture and hay but seem to be getting tired of cows.
Anyone else seeing this in their area?

kenny thomas":3b86znf9 said:
First, I buy cows. Sometimes lots of cows. Some off the farm and some off the markets. Since last Friday I have had more calls from people wanting to sell out than I have had in months. I have bought 47 so far this week and have made an offer on several more.
Everyone has lots of pasture and hay but seem to be getting tired of cows.
Anyone else seeing this in their area?

A lot have sold here to the west or down due to the drought. I am holding some good heifers over this winter as I figure they will be a good market Navasoto west.
A lot of the older guys are getting out around here I know one fellow that is going to twenty head on one eighty acre pasture and has leased his 120 acre pasture for hay.

here in east tx its a good time to buy if you have the hay an pasture.i found a bunch of reg beefmaster pairs an bred cows in south tx.an they want from $1100 to $1500 a pr/hd.an these are young cows from 2 to 6yrs old.

Absolutely.. many, MANY people here are tired of cows.. and of the economy, and how much time and $$ it takes, etc.etc. Too many other things to worry about in my opinion, so folks are starting to lighten their load. Can't say that I blame them, although I would probably kill someone if I didn't have my cows to keep me sane.

Haven;t seen a real increase in cow selling but there are a lot more land auctions lately.

dun":1w3u1r3a said:
Haven;t seen a real increase in cow selling but there are a lot more land auctions lately.

Same here. We've got plenty of grass, but no jobs, so the houses all have for sale signs in the front yards.

There are a lot of toys for sale around here. Boats, 4 wheelers, etc.

After the drought a few years back I tried to buy cows in the spring. Anything with ear was way out of my price range.

The sale barn was full Saturday at a little sale that is usually over in a few hours. It went on for a while. Prices were way down. I haven't been to a big sale lately.

backhoeboogie":3bv79sr3 said:
There are a lot of toys for sale around here. Boats, 4 wheelers, etc.

After the drought a few years back I tried to buy cows in the spring. Anything with ear was way out of my price range.

The sale barn was full Saturday at a little sale that is usually over in a few hours. It went on for a while. Prices were way down. I haven't been to a big sale lately.

I missed the sale yesterday, all this moisture must have short circuited my memory and put me a day behind. Anyway, I heard they only had about 50 cows. A month ago 500 a week were going thru.