Buying Cattle at sales

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyAway

Reaction score
A freind of mine and I will be buying a few beef calf at the sales within the next few months. We're looking to buy 500-700#ers. My question is what do we need to be on the lookout for as far as health problems with calves coming for a sales? Is there any medications we should have on hand?
Thanks,
Chris in PA

Our stndard policy was to worm them and hit them with a shot of Nuflor and ear tag them as the came off the trailer. That's the only times we've ever given antibiotics without a diagnoses. It sure seemed to work for us, wether they were bottle calves or stockers.

dun

why not go to some local farmers and buy direct, then you might have a better idea of what your getting.

Yup buy direct through private treaty, you know what your getting, and the producer can pre-condition them for you. Often in the end this is not only the best way to go economicly, but also, less worries, and hassle with unknowns. And what pathogens woudl you otherwise be bringing home from unknown? Our biggest worry, and it will get worse in years to come.

FlyAway":3eo3w4om said:
A freind of mine and I will be buying a few beef calf at the sales within the next few months. We're looking to buy 500-700#ers. My question is what do we need to be on the lookout for as far as health problems with calves coming for a sales? Is there any medications we should have on hand?
Thanks,
Chris in PA

Definately the obvious. If one comes in is at a substancially lower price or no one hits a bid that could be a sign. Watch for physical signs of injury and the such. I do the same as Dun does so there is two that have had success at that. One last thing is you might buy what looks like it will sell back well or what is selling well in your area.

Scotty

Latest posts