Buying Bred Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC There is an obvious assumed risk when buying or selling any animal. The seedstock seller does his dead level best to sell sound animals because he is expected to satisfy the buyer as an end result but things happen beyond anyone's control.[/quote said:
You're right Mike. Don't think it's possible to list all the "What ifs" verbally or written on a contract. Honest folks deal with the issues when they arise. Most of the time both parties are losers. No point in trying to make either party assume more than their share of the pain.

Thanks for all the discussion on this folks. I have a small confession which is that it hasn't actually happened to me YET!. The subject heifers are due to calve the first of April but look a little light to me right now. I think I'm going to palpate them again next week when we AI a group for fall calving. Just wanted your inputs to be more prepared if necessary. Same breeder does my AI work, so if any of the subject heifers turn up open I think I'll ask him to AI them on his nickel to make sure they go through the protocol successfully.

Looking back in my records since 2002 I bought 9 cows and 2 heifers that were said to be bred , no preg check , no gaurantee , they all calved about the time they were supposed to except one , she calved about 2 months later than we thought should , she was exposed to bull from June to November ,she calved in August so she must have gotten bred not long before he left. I guess I was just lucky. I have never preg checked my own cows and they have always had a calf. If he had them checked they should be okay but unless you have something in writing gauranteeing you a calf , the risk is all yours anything can happen in 6 months.

Caustic Burno":2u3y5ksa said:
Need to start a Crap Shoot board about heifers. This has got to be in the top 5 of problem's posted over and over. A heifer is an unknown commodity bought or raised.

Now why did you go and say that? :shock: I am raising some and I prefer to be in denial :lol:

backhoeboogie":12ivsvtc said:
Caustic Burno":12ivsvtc said:
Need to start a Crap Shoot board about heifers. This has got to be in the top 5 of problem's posted over and over. A heifer is an unknown commodity bought or raised.

Now why did you go and say that? :shock: I am raising some and I prefer to be in denial :lol:

Being as they are Brangus you will most likely be OK and I am familar with your management.
Hard to beat them Brimmers. Two Bulls I never want in a pasture is Limm and Angus.
Limm bull was OK craziest bunch of calves I ever dealt with sold good though, and I would rather try to keep goats penned than an Angus bull.

auctionboy":2sgvhjoo said:
How did you want me to repond to your boasting?

i never saw it as a boast although you claim you did. It is a fact. i know a whole lot more about the individuals involved our way when it comes to heifers. i know we won't have problems that affect the herds again from individuals bought at the barn.

Your the one said that he expected the worst......... i guess your a "half empty" type of guy. i'm not that way.

The rest of your post was a bunch of BS so i will leave it on the ground.

Wewild":3n4d2vdg said:
auctionboy":3n4d2vdg said:
How did you want me to repond to your boasting?

i never saw it as a boast although you claim you did. It is a fact. i know a whole lot more about the individuals involved our way when it comes to heifers. i know we won't have problems that affect the herds again from individuals bought at the barn.

Your the one said that he expected the worst......... i guess your a "half empty" type of guy. i'm not that way.

The rest of your post was a bunch of BS so i will leave it on the ground.
The fact that you only took a sample of my post proves how correct I am.

dcara":2m13gjdm said:
What are your opinions on buying 3 month bred heifers from a reputable breeder that supposedly palpated them but then end up not calving?

As far as I'm concerned, unless they are guaranteed bred, it's a buyer beware deal.

Two Bulls I never want in a pasture is Limm and Angus.
Limm bull was OK craziest bunch of calves I ever dealt with sold good though, and I would rather try to keep goats penned than an Angus bull.[/quote]

A neighbor offered to sell me his Limi bull - - nice calm bull, but he admitted that he had to increase the height of his (Angus/Hereford) corrals to load out the crazy calves... Do Limi cattle settle down a lot with age or is this problem just a lack of handling skills?

dcara":2z294xm0 said:
What are your opinions on buying 3 month bred heifers from a reputable breeder that supposedly palpated them but then end up not calving?

I doubt he would be considered a reputable breeder for long if he did not make some amicable compensation to you for this error. A mistake like this could hurt someone financially. Personally, I try to live by the Golden Rule. With that in mind, I guarantee anything I sell to be as I describe it and I don't sugar-coat. I want my buyers to make money off my cattle. Though I can't prevent problems caused by others mismanagement I can suggest to them that they contact me if any of the animals begin cycling. If so, we can take appropriate measures. Waiting six months to find there is a problem is pretty poor management on their part but at least I tried to make it right.

Stocker Steve I don't know what Limi cattle has to do with bred heifers. We have run Limi bulls for 25 years, we also raise fullblood limis. We still use same corrals we always did, most of the repairs we have done were because rotten post or to make improvements. As with any breed of cattle idiots do show up once in a while. In some of the older bloodlines there was some problems thats why LImousin and only Limousinthat i am aware of has a Doctilty EPD the breeders saw the problem and have improved Doctilty to the point that limis are as gentle as any other breed. My cattle will follow a five gallon bucket with a hand full of gravel in it any where i want them to go. I have helped others work their cattle, and was plenty glad to get home and deal with my limis. That said some breeders still use some older genetics and some problems still show up. By and large most limi cattle today will work any where you want to use them.

Red Bull Breeder":27vs37lk said:
Stocker Steve I don't know what Limi cattle has to do with bred heifers. We have run Limi bulls for 25 years, we also raise fullblood limis. We still use same corrals we always did, most of the repairs we have done were because rotten post or to make improvements. As with any breed of cattle idiots do show up once in a while. In some of the older bloodlines there was some problems thats why LImousin and only Limousinthat i am aware of has a Doctilty EPD the breeders saw the problem and have improved Doctilty to the point that limis are as gentle as any other breed. My cattle will follow a five gallon bucket with a hand full of gravel in it any where i want them to go. I have helped others work their cattle, and was plenty glad to get home and deal with my limis. That said some breeders still use some older genetics and some problems still show up. By and large most limi cattle today will work any where you want to use them.

Good post.

Reading this tpoic reminds me of, short while back bought a Reg. open heifer at Reg. Sale .
When I started to load her next day this heifer was a total nut, I have had and seen bad ones well she was in top 3 of the crazies.
Called the original owner, after short conversation he offered to buy her back or replace NO questions ask. Now that was a decicated breeder.
Happy to say she calmed down within reason in a
few days and now has a home here for a long time.
A Purebred breeder will stand behind their cattle if they are truly honest. I congralate this gentlman .

blk mule

he sold you bred heifers an gurenteed them bred.an he said he had them palpated.an they all came up open.so he needs to give you your money back or replace said heifers.im betting he never had the heifers palpated.youve shouldve asked to see the paperwork from the vets.but then the paperwork might not of been the heifers you was buying from him.either way he owes you.an im betting he wont make the deal good.

Latest posts