Buying at an auction???

Help Support CattleToday:

Camp-BellRetreat

Reaction score
So how does the auction barn sales work? Do they run the cattle/calfs through one at a time? or do they ussually sell by lots? Say 2 or 4 at a time? Does the bidding go by the weight of the animal (so much per pound)? Or do they bid by the animal (per animal)? Looking for advice Thanks. :???:

All of the above. Cows and calves are usually sold as single pairs but at times several like pairs are sold together. This will vary by region. Feeder calves are sold by the pound and baby calves and some of the smaller calves will usually sell by the head (per animal). Slaughter bulls and cows are sold by the pound.

It depends upon the size of the bull. Some are larger then others.
We sold a 2-ton bull a good number of years ago.

Camp-BellRetreat":kdavjrv8 said:
So what is the average weight of slaughter bulls?
you don't want a slaughter bull or cow for your own consumption they are used to make boloney and hot dogs , they are called slaughter bulls/cows because that is the only use for them ,

if wanting one to feed and butcher you need to look at 500-800lb stockers or feeder calves and then you need to put them on grain for 60-120 days

Slaughter bulls and cows are usually older cattle or cattle with a problem of not breeding or other things. Not something you would want to start off with. These can be made into hamburger or several other products. As angus cowman said if you are just starting out buy calves and feed them.

So, if all we wanted was to make ground meat out of them then there really wouldn't be any thing wrong with one, right? You see, we are looking for the best way to feed more people for less money. If we could buy these for ground meat and chile meat then it would cost less than say, going to the meat market at the store.

Yes it would be cheaper, and actually there are several people on this board that feed their cull cows and sell hamburger. You might live close to one of them and can get a good one. You will need some help at the stock yard to be sure you get a good cow that will cut out a high percentage of good beef. Check with the manager of the stock yard and tell him what you are doing and they should help you. If you were near me I would be glad to help with your good cause.
Hope this helps.
Kenny

This is from the Beeville TX Stockyard. Could someone put this into English for me, please?? :???:

Slaughter Cows:
% Lean Weight Avg Dressing Hi Dressing Lo Dressing
Breakers 75-80 1200-1600 40.00-44.00 36.00-38.00
Breakers 75-80 1000-1200 39.00-40.50
Boners 80-85 1200-1600 39.00-41.50
Boners 80-85 1000-1200 42.00-45.50 40.00-41.00
Lean 85-90 1200-1600 39.00-42.00 37.50
Lean 85-90 1000-1200 40.00-44.00 34.00-38.00
Lean 85-90 800-1000 39.50-41.00 42.50 35.00-38.00
Lean 85-90 under 800 34.00

Slaughter Bulls: Yield Grade 1-2 1235-1700 lbs 52.50-56.00
High Dressing 1430-1745 lbs 57.00-58.00
Low Dressing 1150-1365 lbs 45.00-48.00
I belieave I understand what Lean is but what about (Breakers and Boners) Also what is meant by Avg Dressing? and Hi Dressing, Lo Dressing? Is the 40.00-44.00 Dollars or cents per pound?
Thank you again. :tiphat:

I luv herfrds":1sbyx54g said:
It depends upon the size of the bull. Some are larger then others.
We sold a 2-ton bull a good number of years ago.

4000lbs. Would love to see a picture of him.

No matter what age you buy, unless you know who is selling and kind find out for absolutley sure that it hasn;t had any aormers or antibiotics recently, you need to hold it for a minimum of 30 days to insure any possible drugs are out of it's system.

kenny thomas":2s5du3rb said:
Yes it would be cheaper, and actually there are several people on this board that feed their cull cows and sell hamburger. You might live close to one of them and can get a good one. You will need some help at the stock yard to be sure you get a good cow that will cut out a high percentage of good beef. Check with the manager of the stock yard and tell him what you are doing and they should help you. If you were near me I would be glad to help with your good cause.
Hope this helps.
Kenny
If you could find something you could buy off the farm you would not have to worry about any meds in them. Some people sell their sick ones there and you might get one that has not been thru the withdrawal period yet. Even though here the slaughters are suppose to be drug free people still do it to make a dollar.

Camp-BellRetreat":36mxo8x5 said:
So, If we bought a 1000lb animal, then we could expect to get about 6-700lb of processed meat from it right? Thanks again :tiphat:

No. If you're going for mostly hamburger, then you're going to have the cow "boned" as the butcher calls it. You would probably get around 350 pounds of meat from a 1000 pound cow. If the cow is skinny, you'll get less......

Here's a link to the Texas Dept. of Ag. it lists the weekly sales and the results. Usually very up to date.
http://www.agr.state.tx.us/agr/main_ren ... nelId=9931

I strongly agree with the above. Find someone local to deal with and buy direct. It helps you both and for the MOST part, you will get a better animal. You will find quality at some of the sales,but you better know what you're looking at ...

Latest posts