Buying Animals Via the Internet

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
Used to be a day when I'd jump in the truck and visit several states looking at animals hoping to find the one to bring home. Can't do that anymore as the price of fuel knocks that kind of shopping in the head. So I'm turning to the internet to try and locate a prospect bull. I did this with my heifers and things turned out well.

How many of you folks are doing this and are you afraid of breeders using photo shopped pictures enhancing their animals in order to get you to their farm?

I look at a lot of sale ads on the internet and some times then go to the sale. Bought a bull and a bred heifer in December from the info in a sale catalog without even a picture. I did have a trusted rep at the sale and I bought them over the phone while I was 2 hours away checking cows. Very satisified.
I also might just look at some of Jeanne-Simmy Valley's that she is selling in PA in May. Will probably do the same if I decide to buy and have them delivered. One difference is I have visited her farm in NY and seen the type of cattle she raises.

slick4591":39p0ds3n said:
Used to be a day when I'd jump in the truck and visit several states looking at animals hoping to find the one to bring home. Can't do that anymore as the price of fuel knocks that kind of shopping in the head. So I'm turning to the internet to try and locate a prospect bull. I did this with my heifers and things turned out well.

How many of you folks are doing this and are you afraid of breeders using photo shopped pictures enhancing their animals in order to get you to their farm?
I bet over 70% of cow sales start with the internet today....

I guess I'm a little wary of some things. I know enhancing the pictures was/is in the hog business, so I'm afraid of driving a long distance and getting burned.