Buying a stallion

Help Support CattleToday:

SilverCharm

Reaction score
If I bought a stallion and gelded him, would he still act like a stallion? I am looking at a stallion over the internet that I would have to geld if and bought him because I have mares. I haven't met him so I don't know what his temperment is like. He is 15 years old and before I go see him, I want to know what older stallions are like when they are gelded. Anything anybody knows about stallions would help. Thanks.

SilverCharm":3u9zdylq said:
If I bought a stallion and gelded him, would he still act like a stallion? I am looking at a stallion over the internet that I would have to geld if and bought him because I have mares. I haven't met him so I don't know what his temperment is like. He is 15 years old and before I go see him, I want to know what older stallions are like when they are gelded. Anything anybody knows about stallions would help. Thanks.
Boy being that old my bet is he gonna keep the stallion temperment what ever his was good or bad.i seen them cut alot younger like at 5 or so and still be a hand full to handle. depends on how much cowboy you got in you. i would just buy a gelding in the first place. plus its gonna be hard on the ol boy

Had one that was gelded at 6 years old, and he was just too much to keep here. From what I've seen and heard, the earlier the better, as for gelding.

There are many stallions that have great temperments, but if your mare comes into heat with him around, he will be a stallion.

Pretty old for a stud, he'll probably keep alot of the stallions habits, What breed of horse is he?

Alan

wouldn't even waste my time...he's got 15 years behind him of being a stallion...he wont change a bit...if you're not an expert with horses...i'd leave stallions alone...15 years is a long time for a horse..even if gelded now he'll act like a stallion...i've been around horses all my life and my best advice would be to walk away from that deal and find a young gelding or a mare...stallions should be left alone...speaking from experience...stallions can be just plain out dangerous if you're not trained to handle them

Once a stallion (or bull) becomes a "teenage" with testosterone flowing well, well...

If we have a colt that does not warrant being a breeding stallion, he is gelded between 12 and 24 months old. So far, we (and probably most others) rarely have a colt worthy of being a stallion...only the best (probably top 5% of males) are stallion/breeder material.

IMO a 15 yr old stallion is touch too old to geld at this point. Also, he would still remember that he is "all male" around females.

SilverCharm":3u98k5z4 said:
If I bought a stallion and gelded him, would he still act like a stallion?

At 15 years of age, definitely. Castrating him would remove the testosterone, but not the behaviour. Unless you've been around stallions a good deal and know, hands down how to handle them, this is not a good scenario for you and I would suggest you pass it by.

The oldest stallions I have had were 11 and 9 when I gelded them. I had no more problems in the stallion behaivor in the 9 yo wanting to fight everything. It did not change them much otherwise. The thing with these two though was they were already very well mannered to begin with. The 9 YO wanted to fight everything that walked on 4 feet but by himself he was a puppy. After gelding him, he quit fighting was the only thing I noticed. The 11YO was as good as gold all the time. I only cut him so I could run him with the mares. He got killed by a lightening strike.

I agree with the others, at 15 I would pass.

Running Arrow Bill":pe72e2mm said:
If we have a colt that does not warrant being a breeding stallion, he is gelded between 12 and 24 months old. So far, we (and probably most others) rarely have a colt worthy of being a stallion...only the best (probably top 5% of males) are stallion/breeder material.

This is such a true statement, why most horse breeders feel like every colt born is Stallion material is beyond me. It's stallion material because it's black or it's great great grand sire was a full brother to a half brother of Kings, stall mate.

Okay sorry off my soap box, just felt a little rant coming on! :D
Alan

I probably will pass on him. It was just that he seemed to be like the horse I have been looking for, minus the stallion part. Oh and he is a Canadian Warmblood. Thanks for the advice!

SilverCharm":19oe6o3y said:
I probably will pass on him. It was just that he seemed to be like the horse I have been looking for, minus the stallion part. Oh and he is a Canadian Warmblood. Thanks for the advice!

well there's plenty of great mares and gelding out there...you just have to keep looking...if you pass on the stallion then that'd be mighty smart of you :)

This depends on the stallion himself. Has he bred any mares? As a stallion, does he act like a stallion all the time?? How old is he? These all go into this. Now you said he's 15 years old. Has he been breeding mares all his life? Or just started? If he has been breeding mares all his life he'll probably still act like a stud.

We geld when stud colts are about 4 or 5 months old before they get any stallions behaviors from testosterone being introduced into their systems. A stallion that old is going to be hard on him to geld him and more than likely if he hasn't bred a mare he will still exhibit stallion tendencies after being gelded. I agree, just find a gelding you like and forget about the stallion.