Buying a small farm to run cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Nohem

Reaction score
https://prohomeandgardenreviews.com/best-battery-h
G'day, I am looking into buying a small farm to run cattle. What size land would be required to run a farm that can provide a stable income? I was thinking of running smaller cattle as I hear they are easier to work with. I am looking anywhere between 200-500+ acres. My aim is to live comfortably, not to make copious amounts of money. Any ideas?

Without knowing where you are located, what the weather, water, pasture, market, ect in your area is it is impossible to answer your question. Also, if you have no cattle experience, your chances of not losing money are pretty slim. There is a learning curve to cattle that can be pretty expensive. But there is lots of good information on this sight that can help you get started with an education in cattle care.

What a loaded question...this depens on location, soil quality and your skills, as well as deep pockets.

If you have some spare money, and want it to earn income, down here you would buy decent rental property...not rural land or farm land...

First - don't believe everything you read/hear. "smaller cattle" take just as much time & effort as larger cattle. Universities here in US were pushing 'small frame cows" for a long time, then the more they experienced and researched, turns out small did not make the most money.
All depends on your resources (location). No one can answer your question. I would advise you to visit other successful farms in the area you would like to buy. Offer to help them at workup time - pick their brain. Of course, I myself would never want a newbie here when we were working cattle. That's the best way to screw up everything!!! LOL
Remember, if you talk to a Miniature Hereford operation, they will tell you how great they are. If you talk to a Fullblood Simmental breeder, they also will tell you how great they are!!!! Go into discussions with eyes wide open!
Edit: I am a Purebred Simmental breeder of almost 50 years, so I would be more than happy to tell you how great they are. :D :D

Latest posts