buying a paint...

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How much could I expect to pay for a tobiano paint not registered. The one I'm looking at is a nice looking fella. He's about 2 years old and needs to be gelded. He has a good disposition from what I can tell and he leads on a halter well. They want $800 for him. I'm aware of what these horses cost reg. But I have no experience with horses that arent reg.. Is this an ok price being that I dont know exactly where he came from. The people said they won him in a raffle. They are trustworthy people but they didnt see the parents. Any thought's???????

800 is not a bad price. I do recomend having the animal vet checked,as you should do with any horse you buy. If these people are trust worthy as you say then they should not mind you doing so prior to purches. But like I said 800 is not a bad price. Mark

[email protected]

if he comes from a raffle someone gave him away first, and noone likes to give away a good horse. so check everything there is to check on him. take x-rays of his legs, look particularly to how dry the joints are and check the back for problems. 800$ is not a lot of money, but make sure you don't spend it on a bad horse.

why do you want to have him gelded though? if he's gentle as a stallion, you might, as we call it in Belgium, 'cut off his spirit'. meaning he will become a lazy bastard, unable to find the will to work. unless you want to run him with other horses in the field, then it's a question of necessity.

[email protected]

True...people don't "give away" "good" animals (unless for a tax write-off or a "political" marketing promo or gimmick). Remember: It costs the same to feed a poor horse as it does a quality horse--and a "poor" horse can easily run up your expense tab over time for treatments, etc., to get close to the original cost of a "good" horse.

>remember $800 is just the buy in price. you've got to vet him, vaccinate him, grow him out, geld him, & invest 2 more years in training, just to get to the point where you can see what you've got. young horses can be fun but there is a ton of work until you see the payoff.

> How much could I expect to pay for
> a tobiano paint not registered.
> The one I'm looking at is a nice
> looking fella. He's about 2 years
> old and needs to be gelded. He has
> a good disposition from what I can
> tell and he leads on a halter
> well. They want $800 for him. I'm
> aware of what these horses cost
> reg. But I have no experience with
> horses that arent reg.. Is this an
> ok price being that I dont know
> exactly where he came from. The
> people said they won him in a
> raffle. They are trustworthy
> people but they didnt see the
> parents. Any thought's??????? Why dont you look for a broke horse, the one your looking at will need to be broke,[cost at least 300][ gelded cost at least 85] and you can ride it now

[email protected]

Latest posts