Buying a New Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

OLF

Reaction score
I will be buying a new truck in the next couple months.
Current truck:
Ford F350 extended cab
6.0L Diesel
Not a dauly
Tow package

I want to get a one ton Ford or Chevy with extended cab.
Main job will be trailering 6-8 1500 lb cows.

Any recommendations on options to get or not to get?

Is anyone using a gas engine? I'm just considering because it looks like diesel prices will stay higher than gas.

Any preference for Ford or Chevy? I have no complaints with the Ford.

Thanks

OLF":1t4b1ibv said:

get smaller cows.

Diesel here has been running a dime a gallon less then gas for the last month. Since both of my trucks get the same mileage I'm considering driving the super duty instead of the ranger

OLF":34yt7282 said:
I will be buying a new truck in the next couple months.
Current truck:
Ford F350 extended cab
6.0L Diesel
Not a dauly
Tow package

Is anyone using a gas engine? I'm just considering because it looks like diesel prices will stay higher than gas.

Any preference for Ford or Chevy? I have no complaints with the Ford.

Thanks

All articles I have been reading are suggesting for diesel to plummet this summer and resume its traditional pricing role below the price of gasoline.

If that is the case, and trailering is your primary job, you won't go wrong with the Ford F-350 with the 6.4 L. Loads of power. You won't even notice your towing. It will guzzle fuel though.

I would go to your Chev and Ford dealers and get some negotiations going. From what I have heard, Ford is willing to do a lot of bargaining/discounts to get you to buy. Whereas GM is not willing to budge much on the price of their vehicles. I am biased and say stick with Ford...tried, trusted and true. :cowboy:

Thanks for the help.

I'm glad to hear diesel should go down. It's $0.40 over gas here. I really didn't want a gas engine, so that settles that.

The F350 with the 6.4L was my leaning.

I'll make a list of my specs and go to several Ford and Chevy dealers and see who gives me the best deal. As bad as the economy is right now, I figure this may be just the right time to buy.

Thanks again.

Aero":2re9hxnf said:
OLF":2re9hxnf said:

get smaller cows.
:clap: First of all, if i had smaller cows, I would just pack more into the trailer.
Second, I already got rid of the 1800 pounders.
I would like a herd of 1200 lb cows, but I couldn't sell them in New England.

New England is kind of a strange beast. If you want to sell registered Herefords, they better be big, dark red and have very little white on them. I've only been in New England for four years, and I'm doing my best to change that trend. Give me five years, and I'll have smaller cows. My herd bull is a Frame 5. I can't even see him when he's with the cows.

Last summer I picked out everything I wanted on my Ford down to the colors and had a dealer inventory search. I had 4 dealers all find the same exact truck about 50 miles away and price it to me. All four prices were different and the dealer that had it on their lot wasn't the cheapest which was surprising! I had the cheapest dealer ship it to their lot and bought from them.

Personally, I'd go with the DuraMax. Its one hell of an engine, second only to the Cummins for reliability. Its heavier built than the 6.4, uses a proven injection system (don't get me wrong, the Siemens unit that Navistar is using is elegant, but unproven), and has most of the bugs worked out. Ford solved their leaking injector issues by adding a detuning program when it detected overheating in the afterburner. So not cool.

Another thing to keep in mind: Navistar and Ford are parting ways, so look for 6.4 parts to be hard to come by in a few years. Fords the worst of the Big 3 for dropping factory support for vehicles just as soon as they legally can. Pure supposition on my part: In 7 years, Navistar parts will only be available through Navistar outlets.

Rod

Duramax is ok on the blacktop, where i live it is a melt down waiting to happen. Have not saw a duramax yet pull a load from where i live to the pavement with out heating problems.

That dealer pricing thing is really interesting to me. Most area Ford (and Dodge) dealers advertise 10 or 12 thousand bucks off of sticker price. Our local dealer is willing to knock off about 2 thousand (maybe), and makes that up by downgrading your trade-in value. He keeps putting ads in the paper telling us what a good vehicle Ford builds, and that we should buy from our LOCAL dealer. I guess that approach must work for enough people to keep him going.

Of course, the ads for 10 or 12 off might not be so attractive, either, once you read the fine print.

I guess the dealer rebates and special programs and such are optional??

Diesel is the best route to take for heavy duty towing, and the diesel fuel still comes out cheaper due to increased mileage over a gas burner.

It use to be a no brainer as for choice, the Dodge with a Cummins was the best, now they all have their problems with the new emmission regulations. If I had to go buy one, I really don't know what I would do, but I would likely still go with the Dodge, the Allison trans is way better, and their rear ends take some serious abuse. Better read up on the engines on all of them before deciding though.

Latest posts