Buying a new baler JD or New Holland

Help Support CattleToday:

sounds like they are making some of their money back on the tedder
it should be around the 5-6k range
the wheel rake will flip the hay more than a SD rake
I rake clover and alfalfa with my wheel rake, yes I'd prefer a HYD bar rake if I was doing lots of alfalfa but for the amount I am doing and the terrain I am in it isn't feasible anymore

I have never like their free offers just means they are making money somewheres else
and if you have to give a free rake to get someone to buy your baler that seems to me like your balers won't sell themselves
also I wouldn't have any brand of wheel rake other than a KUHN
the 644 and 648 NH balers are good balers and pretty simple to wrk on for the amount of hay you do a yr I think that would be your best bet
check your pm's

The price for the tedder they gave me was the first price i got before I started looking at the balers. The price is right in line with new holland and deere. My neighbor said when he bought his 6 basket it was actually a lot more expensive than deere and nh. I think prices are just more up here in the northeast. I gotta start shopping in your neighborhood angus. I really dont have any interest in a wheel rake with my small fields and odd corners but i'll take it if their giving it away. I dont really like the fact that they are giving me something for free though like you said. I researched the wheels on here and I think they are more for big country. Too many small fields in my parts for them. I figured I could just resell it new if I got it. Yeah I think a 644 will work for 15,000 less. The free money they are offering in 0% is tempting though. My trouble is I dont know what to look for on a used baler. Maybe I can bring a neighbor to help me. Thanks.

Personally, I'd stay away from the wheel rakes, they either wind the hay into a rope inpenetrable to light and heat or they make a gobby windrow that is a pain in the rear to bale. I'm thinking you will be working in similar conditions and with similar grass species to us in upstate NY, a good tedder and a sweep type rake like the millerpro 1150 or 1350 and you can make dry 1st cut hay in 3 or 4 days easily. Make them run the 644 / 648 baler, if they have bale command check the number of bales made, check the main drive chain and sprockets, the condition of the pick up reel will tell you a lot about how the baler was used!

If you are talking about a rotary rake I have one. The tines go around in a circle and push the hay to the side where I have a canvas that comes down to make the row straight.

I LOVE this rake. It has 2 extra tines, so you can go faster with the tractor, but the rake does not go around fast, so as it doesn't knock the leaf off our lucerne (alfalfa). I can rake the paddocks in no time now.

It has higher tines, so it doesn't matter if we flood and have really high windrows of grass. The PTO is also higher up so that the higher windrows don't spin around the PTO.

My rake I can rake with the canvas up or down. With the sail up it does not put in a rope. With the canvas down it does put in a rope, but not as bad as the side delivery rake, which puts in a rope more and more every time it is used.

rotaryrake.jpg

if you want that deal id offer them $30,000 or $31,000 cash an tell them to take it or leave it.

Angus Cowman":39gnb61e said:
No matter what brand you buy having a good dealer is worth alot

as for the chains and belts being a maintenance problem on a NH they are NOT a problem
I change the chains about every 8-10,000 bales and I have NEVER changed or broke a belt on a NH
as for people replacing the endless belts on a sileage baler with spliced belts I would say your SALESMAN didn't know what he was talking about
One reason a NH doesn't have a wear issue on the belts is they don't carry the weight of the bale on the belts that is what the rollers are for so therefore they have less problems with belt stretch than a JD or a Vermeer

goodluck
I think you better look again at a Vermeer baler. Since the late 1970's all Vermeer balers have used the lower drum design that supports the weight of the bale. It is true that a Hesston/AGCO & JD do use a vertical bale chamber that the belts do support the majority of the bale weight.

Angus Cowman":a4yyz9rl said:
B&M Farms":a4yyz9rl said:
in my area, the jd and nh balers are about the same price. The jd is the better baler imo.
yep JD and NH are gonna be about the same price but IMO I would rather have the NH
see 2 diferent people 2 diferent responses

alot depends on your dealer and how good they are about taking care of a problem if one should arise
I just like a few things about the NHbetter than they Jd and yes I have pulled both and baled LOTS of hay thru both
I average 2500 to 3000 bales a yr

I agree... I would go with the NH.... I love NH products. I have jd tractors as well as nh only difference I have noticed is the price but they are both great tractors... IMO I think they are the best 2 equip manufacturers out there... that was my 2 cents...

well i would Go with a JD5101e. i have a 5083e for a raking tractor and its a great little tractor. i have cut and baled with it before, so those extra 20 horses will come in handy. u can never trust a sticker on a case, it may say "jx90" or whatever but its only 80 hp, so you'll be making a upgrade because a 5101 is 101 hp. as the baler is concerned, i like vermeers. my personal preference, always had one, never been let down by one, damn good baler. u said a jd 458? the match for that would be a Vermeer 5410 rebel. not the 604m, the 604 is a 4x6 baler, price will be higher, the 458 and the 5410 are both 4x5 balers, which the 101hp Jd 5101e will pull like a dream.