Buying a calf on craigs

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Just wanted ya'll's thoughts on buying a beef calf off of craigs. I want to buy a charolais or black baldy, bottle calf. Trying to decide.???

Of what I seen on CL is mainly those who buy sickly looking animals and nurse them back to health. I see nothing wrong with that if disclosed. Many claim "born on farm"...There are some good sellers out there in CL, though. This has been my experience. When I sell I just load them and take them into the local stockyard...but that's me...

Craigslist doesn't own any cattle. It's just an advertising platform. Good cattle are where ever you find them.
With that said....If you have to ask...then you're gonna get burned.
Just my :2cents: and many will tell ya it's over priced at 1/2 that. :)

from what Iv seen on CL there a lot that are tring to get top dollar on CL since the market price is down here in east texas.

I've sen some pretty darn good cattle sold via CL and also some pretty dam pathetic stuff. It is truly a buyer beware kind of deal.

I know this is an old post. I bought a Holstein calf for $350 week old that was sick... But he made it and I got $650 at the sale barn 6 months later. Since then I have bought and sold stuff many times on Craigslist, I have found good deals, and people who try to screw people on the buying and selling end of it. All I have to say is if you are a buyer, ( bring someone with you who knows what to look for about whatever it is you are buying),. And if you are a seller Be Honest... If you want repeat customers.... And if you agree on a price before a customer gets to your property. (Stick to the agreed price) otherwise you will have people who come and tell you how they could buy the (Same) animal for way less, just blowing smoke, hoping to get a better deal...

I know this is an old post. I bought a Holstein calf for $350 week old that was sick... But he made it and I got $650 at the sale barn 6 months later. Since then I have bought and sold stuff many times on Craigslist, I have found good deals, and people who try to screw people on the buying and selling end of it. All I have to say is if you are a buyer, ( bring someone with you who knows what to look for about whatever it is you are buying),. And if you are a seller Be Honest... If you want repeat customers.... And if you agree on a price before a customer gets to your property. (Stick to the agreed price) otherwise you will have people who come and tell you how they could buy the (Same) animal for way less, just blowing smoke, hoping to get a better deal...
And that's the truth.
I've bought a few. Thing 3 was advertised on CL.
Has turned out great.
If I get a whiff of ANYTHING out of place, I leave and never worry about.

As someone who sells on CL occasionally (would only be selling singles at sale barn), I make it a point to be as honest as I can be-and ask the same questions I want to give answers for. I can get a better price selling private, but there is the headache of tire kickers.

I prefer private sales or CL over a sale barn simply because I can slow down, really watch the cow/heifer/bull to evaluate how it moves and health, and not be in a rush to bid/buy in split second.
But have been burned by a couple very slick used car/cow salesmen.😁🐄

As someone who sells on CL occasionally (would only be selling singles at sale barn), I make it a point to be as honest as I can be-and ask the same questions I want to give answers for. I can get a better price selling private, but there is the headache of tire kickers.
Selling on Craigslist I always build a buffer in my asking price above what i am willing to accept. If they pay my asking price, great. If they want to feel like they talked me down and got it for less, that's fine too as long as I get the price I need out of it. If we can't agree on price, I don't take it personal. That's just the way it goes sometimes. I just get irritated when the first words someone says are "what is the least you'd take?" before asking anything else or even looking at it in person. Those are usually the tire kickers that really have no serious interest.

Latest posts