Buying a Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I currently have 5 heifers (3 Baldies, and 2 Belties).I'm looking to buy a bull with a good temperment, and structural soundnes.I was thinking of getting an angus but I've been reading about the chiangus.Which one would be better for my heifers and cow's for now and in the future? I live in north central Kentucky if it makes a difference. Would I have any calving problem's with one or the other? Will one bring more money than the other?

Angus, period, esclamation point. Fewer calving problems being the primary reason.

dunmovin farms

> I currently have 5 heifers (3
> Baldies, and 2 Belties).I'm
> looking to buy a bull with a good
> temperment, and structural
> soundnes.I was thinking of getting
> an angus but I've been reading
> about the chiangus.Which one would
> be better for my heifers and cow's
> for now and in the future? I live
> in north central Kentucky if it
> makes a difference. Would I have
> any calving problem's with one or
> the other? Will one bring more
> money than the other?

> Angus, period, esclamation point.
> Fewer calving problems being the
> primary reason.

> dunmovin farms

You might want to also consider a Murray Grey Bull for your commercial herd.

>What will the Murrey Grey offer that the Angus wouldn't as far as beef quality or disposition, etc. I currently have 3 Baldies and 2 Belties I plan to cross. When I decide what bull I'm going to get I am going to get some more of the same breed cow's, so I will have some reg. purebred calves also. I want to diversify......

Both are excellent,but,the Murray Grey will add milk to your herd,and I think improve your feed conversion, and will grow better beef.Afterall, the Murray Grey is a Black Angus / Shorthorn cross.This will give you the advantages of both breeds.

[email protected]

By using Angus EPDs you can select an animal that will give you the amount of milk you want in your replacement heifers. As for feed efficiency, I can post links to several bull test stations and Angus bulls do as well, generally better, than any other breed. And consumer acceptance of Certified Angus Beef tells me that Angus beef is quite good. I buy it when I can. If you're selling your cattle at the sale barn, you will get more for black calves than other color calves. I'm not knocking Murray Greys, just disagreeing that they can offer anything that Angus can't.

[email protected]

Yes, Angus can offer a lot...they kick higher and harder than other cattle. Don't knock another breed then say you're not.

I said nothing negative about Murray Greys. Nothing. I don't need to bash other breeds. The Angus positives speak for themselves. The only animal I've been kicked by was a big tiger striped Braford, just before she sailed over the corral fence. In my opinion crazy cowboys generally make crazy cows. Angus temperment is no worse than any other breed and better than most.

[email protected]

We have black purebred Murray Greys, the result of 11 years of careful breeding. These are purebred Murray Greys, with Murray Grey conformation and characteristics - not "throwbacks" to Angus. The Angus/Milking Shorthorn cross was done 100+ years ago, for heaven's sake.

As for feed conversion, I won't try and give you stats, but my personal experience with Murray Greys is they are exceptionally calm and easy to handle, which translates to excellent feed conversion and growth.

I'm not breed bashing, either, and didn't take your post as such, Frankie.

> By using Angus EPDs you can select
> an animal that will give you the
> amount of milk you want in your
> replacement heifers. As for feed
> efficiency, I can post links to
> several bull test stations and
> Angus bulls do as well, generally
> better, than any other breed. And
> consumer acceptance of Certified
> Angus Beef tells me that Angus
> beef is quite good. I buy it when
> I can. If you're selling your
> cattle at the sale barn, you will
> get more for black calves than
> other color calves. I'm not
> knocking Murray Greys, just
> disagreeing that they can offer
> anything that Angus can't.

Why dont you try Brahman on your heifers.. Good temperament and hardy too. Then cross the offsprings with Angus to get the carcass. IMHO

Both Angus and Chiangus can be great or horrible for you. It really depends on what you have available in your area. I'd recommend going around to you're local sales barns and seeing what sells well and what gets docked (color, shape and pattern wise especially). Get as many bull catalogs as you can and compare the offerings then try for the best you can afford.

aprille218":37pkapkq said:
Both Angus and Chiangus can be great or horrible for you. It really depends on what you have available in your area. I'd recommend going around to you're local sales barns and seeing what sells well and what gets docked (color, shape and pattern wise especially). Get as many bull catalogs as you can and compare the offerings then try for the best you can afford.

This thread is 10 years old. He probably found a bull already! ;-)

3waycross":2ph7aeim said:
aprille218":2ph7aeim said:

This thread is 10 years old. He probably found a bull already! ;-)
If not he might be a little to picky.

Latest posts