Buying a Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

ChipC

Reaction score
I am planning on going to look at a bull that I am interested in buying this week. The bull is registered and I am paying what I consider a premium price. This is my first experience buying a registered bull and I was wondering if there is anything in particular I should look for on the registration to know that the bull on paper is the bull I am buying? I know this may sound silly to ask but I know in the horse buying and trading world it is not uncommon to run across some crooks. Horse registration papers often have special markings listed on the paper work (feet colorings, neck patches, etc...), but I don't think cow papers do. If I am being over paranoid, it will not hurt my feelings to tell me.

Thanks in advance!

ChipC":3nlu8qmx said:
I am planning on going to look at a bull that I am interested in buying this week. The bull is registered and I am paying what I consider a premium price. This is my first experience buying a registered bull and I was wondering if there is anything in particular I should look for on the registration to know that the bull on paper is the bull I am buying? I know this may sound silly to ask but I know in the horse buying and trading world it is not uncommon to run across some crooks. Horse registration papers often have special markings listed on the paper work (feet colorings, neck patches, etc...), but I don't think cow papers do. If I am being over paranoid, it will not hurt my feelings to tell me.

Thanks in advance!
is the seller a well known, reputable breeder? The Good ones do not!want a bad rep....

It appears to be a reputable breeder. They are listed on Brangus breeders.net and a have good looking website.

In the Simmentals it's a tattoo that has to be on the paper. Are you going to sell or register his offspring? If not and you weren't looking for a heifer bull I wouldn't worry too much.

I don't doubt that it's happened, but I've never heard of someone cheating a buyer that way. I wouldn't worry about it.

Chocolate Cow":eq2p451d said:
I only can speak to Angus:
The only way to know without a doubt if you own the bull that's listed on the registration paper is to do a DNA test.
Well, I guess you can check the ear tattoo. I suppose theoretically someone could fudge that but I have never heard of it. The entire biz is predicated on a certain amount of honesty...

If in doubt of the integrity of the seller - don't buy.
I honestly never heard of anyone getting swindled like that. Not saying it hasn't or won't happen.
Tattoo is the only thing you can check - and if they are crooked, they can fix that problem. Make sure there isn't fresh ink!!!! LOL

Some years ago I bought several Angus bulls at a registered production sale. For grins & giggles I DNA'd them. One wouldn't match back to the cow. He matched the sire but not his mother. Whoa. The deal got a lot of attention I wasn't prepared for. Angus Assoc ended up pulling his registration paper. Never did figure out who his mother was but there were a lot of people asking questions and pointing fingers.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":12dphc4g said:
That can happen in big herds calving groups together. A boss cow can steal a calf from another less dominant cow. Calves get swapped (by cows) and owners do not know it.

It would be found out if you had to do DNA test for parentage as there would not be a match.

slick4591":1nui7way said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1nui7way said:
That can happen in big herds calving groups together. A boss cow can steal a calf from another less dominant cow. Calves get swapped (by cows) and owners do not know it.

It would be found out if you had to do DNA test for parentage as there would not be a match.
Pricey to do it on every calf. The Red Angus Association requires DNA on all bulls to register their calves.

dun":1uq15pfo said:
Pricey to do it on every calf. The Red Angus Association requires DNA on all bulls to register their calves.

Both Pied associations requires it done on all registered animals. I think it runs around $60 per animal.

Latest posts