Buying a breeding bull through the ring

Help Support CattleToday:

ranchmom77

Reaction score
Hi all.. Hoping you can settle a debate for me lol
Can you purchase a bull from a slaughter sale to use as a breeding bull? Not that many would want to, but it was my understanding that because of the trich outbreak it was illegal to bring home a slaughter bull..
Thanks in advance!

You have to have them semen tested and if that passes you have to have a trich test and wait on the results before turning him out. There have been some good bulls selling pretty good at the regular sales around here, people doing just what you are asking about.

denvermartinfarms":2deyki7s said:
You have to have them semen tested and if that passes you have to have a trich test and wait on the results before turning him out. There have been some good bulls selling pretty good at the regular sales around here, people doing just what you are asking about.

You don't "have" to have him semen tested but you should.

You do "have" to have him trich tested and even if you didn't it's a good idea!

3waycross":2fg6hso9 said:
denvermartinfarms":2fg6hso9 said:

You don't "have" to have him semen tested but you should.

You do "have" to have him trich tested and even if you didn't it's a good idea!
That's right, but all the Salebarn vets around here do the semen to make sure he is good before they will do the trich. No law on a semen test, just not worth paying for the trich if he is no good anyway.

You do "have" to have him trich tested and even if you didn't it's a good idea![/quote]
That's right, but all the Salebarn vets around here do the semen to make sure he is good before they will do the trich. No law on a semen test, just not worth paying for the trich if he is no good anyway.[/quote]

You are correct. I did n't read it that way!

They sell bulls all the time around here. No test, just a mans word. If you don't trust them then don't buy them.

Why buy someone's cull? A bull is responsible for 50% of his progeny a genes and can have 50-60 calves a year in a seasonal joining. Why would u buy a cull to be the one that is responsible for much of your progenies performance.

AussieLim":31hbope6 said:
Why buy someone's cull? A bull is responsible for 50% of his progeny a genes and can have 50-60 calves a year in a seasonal joining. Why would u buy a cull to be the one that is responsible for much of your progenies performance.

There are many reasons to take a bull to the sale. For us it's when we are upgrading to better bulls and when we've retained his daughters as breeding stock. We are strictly commercial.

AussieLim":2nocjnlf said:
Because a lot of people have no idea of management.
Some are doing what they can afford while they are building.
Some don't know any better or care.

sim.-ang.king":1p8e2e02 said:
They sell bulls all the time around here. No test, just a mans word. If you don't trust them then don't buy them.
Really not about trust. A guy can be honest but not even know his bull has trich.

AussieLim":3427nvz6 said:
If I could post a pic of the bull Fitz " culled" this year for slaughter you might change your mind. I'll take his culls anyday!

If it is for sale period it is a cull. Any livestock that is not culled would be retained.

i think they are talking about most bulls that sale at your local sale barn are culls.unless its a special bull sale held at the local sale barn.2yrs ago i sold 2 reg bulls 4 an 5yrs old through the barn that was good enough to go back home.but they went in the kill pen.

Latest posts