Buyers @ auctions

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv

Reaction score
I have always wondered what the different business deals are for the buyers at the feeder auction barns.
Do these guys work on a straight commission for the cattle purchased.
Do they buy the cattle and hopfully sell for more to different feedlots etc.
Do they represent more than one buyer or is a certain buyer maybe represented by several buyers.
I have seen some of these guys at different sale barns for 15 years and always wonders what all the possible deals are for these guys.

I recently met a buyer at the auction barn and asked him that question. He does not have any cattle himself, all he does is buy for others. This particular buyer gets 50 cents per hundred, so a 600# animal would cost you $3.

Most buyers have clients they routinely buy for.. they generally get orders for a certain number, ie: 500 lb heifers, shipper cows, etc. etc. from each of their clients, and they go to as many sales as they need to to fill the orders, which change on a weekly basis. Many buyers have the same clients for years.

The order buyers that I know also have their own cattle. They usually don't miss a good deal, if they have somewhere to go with it.

all of the order buyers at the sale barn get so much a hd for buying cattle.doesnt matter the class of cattle either.an they earn their money.b/c alot of them go to 5 sales a wk.an stay at ea sale for 8hrs ot more.plus their driving time.an have to have a truck to haul what they buy.they need to buy 300hd a day to make decent money.scott

I'm an order buyer/trader.I get 3.00 / hd + hauling. If i have to deliver with most hauling fee avg. 10.00 to 15.00 / order. Except on the packer cattle.Then i just call the truck and tell them how many to pickup and at what sale barn.I get orders for everything frrom baby calves to put on a bottle to packer cattle.

If i don't have any orders then i'm buying cattle for myself.I also hire out to day work for area ranches.As bigbull338 said it makes for some long days and short nights.

I also have a cow/calf and wheat pasture operation.And a new venture bucking bred cattle.

I have several order buyers working for me, meaning that I ask for a certain breed of cattle (Highlanders) and at a certain price (CHEAP!) and when they find them they buy em, and call me to pick em up. They make a few bucks and I don't pay alot for them.Works for me. :cboy:

Latest posts