Buy/ sell months

Help Support CattleToday:

That can be a loaded question. But it seems for me here in Texas, the best months to sell are in the spring. But a lot depends on what you are selling. These last two years have been dependant on weather more than anything it seems.

There are times that buyers are looking for six month old steers at the sale barn and if there are several buyers bidding, steers can go really high in July/August.

Cattle are really no different than the stocks all Wall Street. There are stocks from corps who are out of favor with the public, but worth much more than the going price. Then there are the guppy stocks that are priced more than they are really worth but have potential.

I can only hope several people happen to be looking for cattle like mine when I hit the sale barn.

If I were simply buying and reselling, I'd buy in November/December and sell in March/April and ensure that I had forage and hay to feed.

Avoid selling in October. Lots of cattle cming to town and buyers figure in the cost of sickness from warm days and cool nights. If you can keep cattle healthy, this is a good time to buy.

backhoeboogie":58fpurxn said:
That can be a loaded question. But it seems for me here in Texas, the best months to sell are in the spring. But a lot depends on what you are selling. These last two years have been dependant on weather more than anything it seems.

There are times that buyers are looking for six month old steers at the sale barn and if there are several buyers bidding, steers can go really high in July/August.

Cattle are really no different than the stocks all Wall Street. There are stocks from corps who are out of favor with the public, but worth much more than the going price. Then there are the guppy stocks that are priced more than they are really worth but have potential.

I can only hope several people happen to be looking for cattle like mine when I hit the sale barn.

If I were simply buying and reselling, I'd buy in November/December and sell in March/April and ensure that I had forage and hay to feed.

In Texas want to sell in the spring and buy in the fall.
Boogie is right on.

Up here yesterday was the best sale of the year to buy...historcally the lowest prices of the year are the sale right before the Christmas break.
Next sale in Jan will see the prices start to improve but the number of head usually doean't increase until the end of the month.
The bride was well behaved yesterday, for the first time in recent memory we came home without a herf heifer in the trailer. Dmc

Susie David":29f20zfy said:
The bride was well behaved yesterday, for the first time in recent memory we came home without a herf heifer in the trailer. Dmc

I can relate to buying. I have been looking at brangus heifers and picking up a few. Prices have been so good that I couldn't resist. I picked up a good looking long eared brindle white face just because she went so cheap. I don't think she is an F-1 but she looks close. She's a bit skittish too but she is settling in on my place here with the heifers. I'll move her to the farm later on. With so few head to tend to, my back still bothering me, I have hung out at the sale barns "observing". I have learned not to take a trailer with me when I go.

If the brindle cow doesn't settle in, I may take her back in the spring if prices get up.

Latest posts