Buy High, Sell Higher

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Ranching For Profit blog had a recent write up with this title. Lots of pros and cons, but the majority thought it is smart to take some money off the table.

Poker playing aside - - the underlying thread was what kind of business are we in, and what are the goals ? I have been focusing lately on using cows to improve the soil. So I am in a "dirty" soil business. This is a long term effort, and my wife and I are debating the end game. Any thoughts here ?

Goals are to be happy, keep the roof up, the gut full and the gun loaded. Anything beyond that is just overthinking things. Gotta be careful with all those that are telling you how to make a profit, because one thing is for sure - they are, and more than likely at your expense.

I like the way you think Aaron... It's kinda what we go by as well.. There's people who ranch 1000 head, but in the end, they still only need to eat 3 meals a day... We are all busy, we're all fed, and we all have some vehicle to drive, so as long as we're enjoying ourselves doing it, I don't see a great need for expansion. That being said, you gotta be able to maintain and occasionally improve the place too.

I do over think sometimes, and this can be a waste. Had an ex farmer over last week telling me how to do something (more like the neighbors). When he was done, I asked who in the neighborhood was making a decent profit. It got kind of quiet for a while.

Wether it is thinking or working - - there are a lot of areas that don't pay off. A problem with sell/buy is you need to keep turning the animal inventory... I am skipping the sales next week and taking an 83 year old uncle ice fishing. He can not get around well on his own anymore. I drive and cut the holes.

It has been my experience to listen to others, don't counter them, just keep your mouth shut, then you know what they think they know and what you know also.

kjonesel":1c72u8ad said:
It has been my experience to listen to others, don't counter them, just keep your mouth shut, then you know what they think they know and what you know also.

Right thinking, but some people want to be paid $100+ before you can have the 'pleasure' of listening to them. :roll:

most times if you buy high thinking cattle will get higher.youll usually loose money.

bigbull338":slhnqhbj said:
most times if you buy high thinking cattle will get higher.youll usually loose money.

I agree bb.. I think that's a fools game. I think it was Dun or Greybeard that said the saying... Play a stupid game ... win stupid prizes or something to that effect.

Latest posts