Buy Cattle/Rent Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

Osage

Reaction score
This should open up a bag of worms; for what its worth I was raised on a small farm back when virtually everything was done the hard way. Although its been a while I'm no stranger to cattle, but memory tends to play a few tricks and things do change.

I am now retired in western KY and have (50)acres with good grass, shelter and water which I recently finished fencing the "hard way". My thought is to either develop a small herd of purebred Angus or rent the pasture to a neighbor.

So....I'm looking for a little experience and wisdom.

Osage

With good fencing and adequate water, leasing the pasture to a neighbor is a lot less demanding both financially, labor and time wise. You also aren;t tied down for any given period of time. If you want to go fishing for a week there's nothing to stop you.

Depends on what you will enjoy. If you just want cattle around, you could rent it and still have the pleasure of watching the babies born and grow. If you want to be more involved, an absentee owner might be willing to split a beef or pay you to care for the cattle. If want your own cattle, go get them.

If you want to raise Angus cattle and sell bulls or heifers as seedstock, get out to some sales and see what sells, what costs, talk to some breeders and then make your decision. We've been doing it for 18-19 years now and it's been a lot of fun. We've met a lot of good people and learned a whole lot.

Then there's the show route. Raising heifers to sell to 4-H kids is a whole other avenue. If it's something you think you'd enjoy, get out to the fairs, talk to local extension people and Ag teachers. Good luck.

Another route could be to lease some cows. You may want to talk to some local seedstock producers that you feel are successful and discuss this. The successful ones usually are looking to expand and they are limited by pasture and labor. Your newly fenced pasture and willingness to watch the cattle may be just what they need also. Depending on what you arrange and provide the agreement could be that you keep 75-*0% of the calves and they get the pick of the calves for their seedstock business at weaning time. Just another thought for you to consider. A bonus for you is you get inside information on management they follow and breeding ideas.

Dun, Frankie & Jalopy:

Thanks for the input, just trying to plan ahead, but at present I have wait until the grass begins again or buy hay. During the first year I reclaimed the pastures and for the last two I mowed close, raked and baled all the residue, so the pasture area is very clean Now with fencing I am getting close to being ready for cattle, even though I still have to get my water source arrangement set up.

Asking around there also seems to be considerable interest in providing (contract to purchase) 1/2 or whole beef to private individuals for freezer meat.

Again thanks for the wisdom,

Osage

If you decide to rent, be sure you have written down in black in white what is expected of the renter. (stocking rate, fence upkeep, etc.) Guys around here like to destroy whatever they rent by overstocking and ,if they patch a fence at all, it means they cut a cedar tree and throw it in the hole. Personally, I'm too big of a control freak to ever rent my place out. The things some of these big local operators are doing makes me furious. :mad: They rent several farms all over the place on a shares agreement with the landowners. They claim they are making the owners more money by being able to match up potloads of like cattle for sale. Here's the catch. Guess which load these jacks are taking their cut from. The last guy down the line gets his cut from the sorriest load of cattle. All these naive landowners are beginning to catch on, but it sure makes it hard for an honest person. It also sickens me to see enough cattle dragged out for the dead wagon to stock our farm.

dyates":2op7ukae said:
If you decide to rent, be sure you have written down in black in white what is expected of the renter. (stocking rate, fence upkeep, etc.) Guys around here like to destroy whatever they rent by overstocking and ,if they patch a fence at all, it means they cut a cedar tree and throw it in the hole. Personally, I'm too big of a control freak to ever rent my place out. The things some of these big local operators are doing makes me furious. :mad: They rent several farms all over the place on a shares agreement with the landowners. They claim they are making the owners more money by being able to match up potloads of like cattle for sale. Here's the catch. Guess which load these jacks are taking their cut from. The last guy down the line gets his cut from the sorriest load of cattle. All these naive landowners are beginning to catch on, but it sure makes it hard for an honest person. It also sickens me to see enough cattle dragged out for the dead wagon to stock our farm.

Excellent points!

Dyates:

Thanks for the input, I may not be a control freak, but I will admit I'm more than a little picky. With that said, listening to you guy's experience and wisdom, I believe I'll just do something, "my way", I never like the renting idea anyway.

I sorta like the idea of 8-10 head of weined heifers of quality Angus as a starter herd and then sell the calves each year.

By the way, Dyates I live approx 280 miles west of you but still in Kentucky.

Osage

Latest posts