Buy cattle in spring sell in winter

Help Support CattleToday:

Morganwyn

Reaction score
Im thinking of buying steers in spring and selling in winter. Im unsure what what age steers to buy and what breed? Anyone else do this?

Im thinking of buying steers in spring and selling in winter. Im unsure what what age steers to buy and what breed? Anyone else do this?
I prefer Longhorns, Hereford, angus, Brahman, but that's only cause I breed those breeds a couple more breeds I breed but yeah those are probably the best breeds to have.

You need to buy cattle with growth potential in their frame (that's what your growing at that age). Different times in life, I have followed that model. It's fine other than your buying at a high point in the market and selling at a low. Also don't get em over 725 pounds (not around here anyway).

I prefer Longhorns, Hereford, angus, Brahman, but that's only cause I breed those breeds a couple more breeds I breed but yeah those are probably the best breeds to have.
Hey, girly223, why don't you show us some of the cattle that you really own and breed and what your place looks like.

Ken

That's what I do. I'm in fescue country so I'm trying to transition to buying 5 weights in November/December and selling 8 weights in late August/ early September. Weaned cattle are cheap in the fall and feeders are expensive in the fall. Buying in the spring will cost more. You may have to though if you have warm season grass.

The weight of cattle to buy would depend on value of gain. If you don't know how to figure that, you need to learn before you get into it.

Also stick with whatever breed is most popular in your area until you get the markets figured out. That's likely angus based. Everything is based on margins though. Just because those fancy black steers sell for the highest doesn't mean they will be the most profitable. You can probably buy red and white cattle cheaper. Just stay away from anything dairy, longhorn, roan, and probably Brahman based unless you're in the south. That is until you get your market figured out. I also would not buy full herefords.

Hey, girly223, why don't you show us some of the cattle that you really own and breed and what your place looks like.

Ken
Ok you wanna see what I really breed ok then I'll show you since you all wanna call me a liar and a cheat I'm LITERALLY BRINGING A GUY CATTLE WHEN THIS COLD IS OVER IN TEXAS

YOU CAN LOOK ME UP THERES MY RANCH NAME NOW HAVE FUN

River Valley Ranch & Grass Fed Beef

Well that is nothing to be ashamed of, you should have been straight forward with us from the beginning. It looks like a very nice farm and a well thought out operation. You must be very proud of it. Which one is you, I'm guessing Kirsten. We are not here to run any one down, everyone is treated the same no matter how big or small their operation is. We will be interested to hear more of your operation.

Ken

I guess I'm confused-your ranch now says Riesel (my dad's old stomping grounds)-are you the ranch off of Hwy 6 about 5 miles south of town? If so, nice setup-nice cross-fenced pastures with feeder calves. That would be something to be proud of-the previous posts you had were very misleading, however. There were mountain pictures, different fences everywhere, and I don't think I've seen longhorns out at that ranch. If you're in Riesel, hope you've been able to keep your cattle sheltered in this freeze. If your place is where I think it is-not many trees in the pastures

Highland aren't commercially desirable.
I don't even know that I would buy Herefords for that kind of program at least not around here unless there is a better option to sell them. We have and like Herefords but they just don't bring what black calves do. Hereford Angus cross does fine.

Latest posts