Butts and SaleBarn

Help Support CattleToday:

Chuckie":1lfa7boh said:
How tender is the meat from a BB? Is it anything like a Piedmontese? It has the double muscle gene, and the meat is so tender that it can be cut with a fork. Excellent flavor. Or is BB a tougher cut? I have always wondered this.

It is much the same as pied and needs to be cooked the same way.
It makes very good eating and is tender.
At least to me who is used to beef light on marbling.

glacierridge":2xtr6x9x said:
Chuckie":2xtr6x9x said:
How tender is the meat from a BB? Is it anything like a Piedmontese? It has the double muscle gene, and the meat is so tender that it can be cut with a fork. Excellent flavor. Or is BB a tougher cut? I have always wondered this.

What does the underlined part mean?

greybeard":3ci2lr4r said:
glacierridge":3ci2lr4r said:
Chuckie":3ci2lr4r said:
How tender is the meat from a Bdue Is it anything like a Piedmontese? It has the double muscle gene, and the meat is so tender that it can be cut with a fork. Excellent flavor. Or is BB a tougher cut? I have always wondered this.

What does the underlined part mean?

Because it's lean and lacks the marbling (not flavor)
It's recommended to sear steaks when you start cooking to seal in juices so it won't get dry because the meat lacks the fat to hold in moisture.

Also, the meat can cook at lower temps with faster cooking times. I had a lady inquiring about the cross calf I had for her freezer. She told me that she eats her beef well and I told her to find another breed to buy.

Taurus":6m3q3543 said:
thommoos":6m3q3543 said:
I would definitely keep mine separated from his to ensure yours are not thought to be in the same pen. period
And how you know that you can get a dock at sale barn for having a DM calf? Or just guessing?

I'm sure everyone mixing their calves with a different owner's calves at salebarn...... :roll:
Not sure if B.B. Angus cross calves will be double muscled but I worked several years at Tri-county and Bagley livestock with many sales to 5000 hd+ and we ALWAYS sorted off double muscles and they ALWAYS got docked.

skeeter swatter":1xvb3aa2 said:
Taurus":1xvb3aa2 said:
thommoos":1xvb3aa2 said:
I would definitely keep mine separated from his to ensure yours are not thought to be in the same pen. period
And how you know that you can get a dock at sale barn for having a DM calf? Or just guessing?

I'm sure everyone mixing their calves with a different owner's calves at salebarn...... :roll:
Not sure if B.B. Angus cross calves will be double muscled but I worked several years at Tri-county and Bagley livestock with many sales to 5000 hd+ and we ALWAYS sorted off double muscles and they ALWAYS got docked.
Really? Since when DM calves are that common in our area? I often went to Tri-county and Bagley livestock quite regularly and don't see lot of DM calves through the salebarn. And if there is a DM calf, it's usually a longhorn x Pied calf.

D.M. Calves will always be docked at any of the auctions here out west where we buy. I absolutely will not bid on one. Whether we are the buyer or the seller, I will also sort a D.M. calf into the cut pen when shipping off a ranch. There are lots of cattle that are breeds other than Angus X or Charolais X that will not only sell at market but at a premium provided they are quality animals.

Taurus":15an1wt7 said:
thommoos":15an1wt7 said:

we sold cows to a guy a few years back, he got the big idea of crossbreeding a BB with a beefmaster :shock: , Let me tell you they grew like the dickens, but he got reamed at the sale barn. If i remeber correcly it was like 40 to 50 cents a lbs back 6 years ago. That is a hit, I mean worn out, that lasted 2 seasons and he sold them all, funny thing you can't send a Dm spotted calf in central alabama to the barn. :eek:

DOC HARRIS":1a6fzmmi said:
greybeard":1a6fzmmi said:
A Belgan Blue with some ear, leather---and attitude.
I just don't know about that one.

Hm-m-m-m. Similar to African Buffalo? :nod:

DOC HARRIS
He ask me to take some to the barn for him, well after being chased, the catch pen demolished, this one calf would run head first at the gates, smash em, get up and take off in another direction. The wife jumped out of the truck screaming get the He!! away from that crazy calf. he ended up runing into hog wire flipping over it, then heading for the back forty taken another 3 or four with him. that was an experience!!!

thommoos":wpdoihxw said:
He ask me to take some to the barn for him, well after being chased, the catch pen demolished, this one calf would run head first at the gates, smash em, get up and take off in another direction. The wife jumped out of the truck screaming get the He!! away from that crazy calf. he ended up runing into hog wire flipping over it, then heading for the back forty taken another 3 or four with him. that was an experience!!!
Isn't that it happens to most cattle with Brahman blood?

greybeard":2lkp55gn said:
But beefmasters do not.
1174245_zps11954a3f.jpg

Fair enough.
This is the closest thing I can find on my lunch here, a Brahman x BB

Not sure if B.B. Angus cross calves will be double muscled but I worked several years at Tri-county and Bagley livestock with many sales to 5000 hd+ and we ALWAYS sorted off double muscles and they ALWAYS got docked.[/quote] Really? Since when DM calves are that common in our area? I often went to Tri-county and Bagley livestock quite regularly and don't see lot of DM calves through the salebarn. And if there is a DM calf, it's usually a longhorn x Pied calf.[/quote]

Did I say they were common? But if you see a couple hundred thousand head a year you will come across a few!
Why don't you just post the answer you want to hear and I'll try to make you happy without being called a liar.
:bang: :bang: :deadhorse: