Butts and SaleBarn

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus

Reaction score
I penned up all calves to wean them then hauling them out to the salebarn this wed. My neighbor just brought some hay bales from us and want me to haul some of his calves to the salebarn as well. My neighbors with Blue Belgian cattle has some new cows a little while ago, mostly commercial black angus cows and they are letting his BB bull running with the angus cows for next spring's calf crop. I can't help but wondering what happens if you took a group of solid black angus x BB calves to the sale barn...would you get docked for have butts on the calves?

We were never docked with having double muscle crosses in previous years. I suppose like everything else it very much depends on the area you are selling them at.

thommoos":3tdgj4sz said:
I would definitely keep mine separated from his to ensure yours are not thought to be in the same pen. period
And how you know that you can get a dock at sale barn for having a DM calf? Or just guessing?

I'm sure everyone mixing their calves with a different owner's calves at salebarn...... :roll:

Taurus":lq6ezurn said:
thommoos":lq6ezurn said:
I would definitely keep mine separated from his to ensure yours are not thought to be in the same pen. period
And how you know that you can get a dock at sale barn for having a DM? Or just guessing?

I'm sure everyone mixing their calves with a different owner's calves at salebarn......

Can't recall if I have seen a DM calf go through the ring but I would bet they would dock you. It's a long list of what will get docked and I can't imagine this wouldn't be on it.

Our calves are not co-mingled here at my local barns in MO.

J&D Cattle":35whjh06 said:
Can't recall if I have seen a DM calf go through the ring but I would bet they would dock you.
See, this is what I am talking about. Nobody knows that we could get docked for sure so we could come up with just a guess.

Taurus":sf0zdtld said:
J&D Cattle":sf0zdtld said:
Can't recall if I have seen a DM calf go through the ring but I would bet they would dock you.
See, this is what I am talking about. Nobody knows that we could get docked for sure so we could come up with just a guess.

I guessed you were looking for an answer for a calf that had a DM look to it that would be obvious to a buyer. If they are black and the Angus hides enough of the DM then I guess nobody would be the wiser.

Call a salebarn or cattle buyer if you are looking for a specific answer. Even then you'll likely get a guess as it would vary from sale to sale, area to area, and animal by animal.

Taurus":402e8wm6 said:
J&D Cattle":402e8wm6 said:
No I am not guessing. I have seen several double muscle calves in the past go through the sale barns and even a few that were BB. I see every calf that goes through our sale barn every week and I record the prices so I do know when a calf is discounted and why.

kenny thomas":aqxvp1ou said:
Taurus":aqxvp1ou said:
J&D Cattle":aqxvp1ou said:
No I am not guessing. I have seen several double muscle calves in the past go through the sale barns and even a few that were BB. I see every calf that goes through our sale barn every week and I record the prices so I do know when a calf is discounted and why.
Was that based on the colors solely or just DM strictly or combo of DM & color?

I have seen the occasional double muscled calves sell at East Texas sale barns and yes the were discounted severely - $0.30 to $0.50 per pound. Even the real round muscled, quarterhorse looking calves get docked.

Taurus":2319q412 said:
greybeard":2319q412 said:
Here--yes, docked compared to Gelbs, brangus, angus, char crosses.
Docked compared to LH or Barh Xs--no.
so you seen a DM cross in the sale barn before?

Yes, in 2011 and early 2012 when the drought was so bad, no hay and everyone was downsizing herds. They are rare, but they do sometimes go thru the sale rings here in East Texas. Seen several BBs in Sulpur Springs and here in Livingston salebarns. The ones in Sulphur Springs were BB/Holstien X.

Not unusual to see or hear of the dock.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread ... etCookie=1

I wouldn't go that far Taurus. You know too, that it depends on the animal, the buyers present and the condition--as well as the market at any given time. Angus, Brangus, Chars, and Char crosses generally do good here in my area, but I've seen other breeds go thru and bring the same price--when they were good, and I've seen some sorry looking Chars and some black hides go thru that took a well deserved beating.

I don't know much at all about BBs, but if these pics are representative of the breed, I can't say they are something I would pick out at a supermarket meat counter. (enlarge the pics with your browser) That filet and ribeye just don't look appetizing to me--at all. Guess they've got their niche tho.

http://www.bellebrook.com/products.html

Taurus":3rxoac1m said:
In short words, everything but angus x and charolais x gets docked at sale barn?
Not necessarily "everything but angus x and charolais x gets docked". You asked about double muscled or extremely heavily muscled calves getting discounted and that answer is yes. The DM calves and the really round quarter horse looking calves are discounted. They tend to have little to no marbling (look at the link that Greybeard provided) and therefore do not fit mainstream markets.

IMG_20131009_150019_zpsb2f36c96.jpg

For the life of me, I can't get my phone to let me paste my link below...
GB, I would say those pics are pretty accurate.
Just took in a 3/4 BB cow in for burger to sell, had the butcher roll out the tenderloin for us.
It was very, very good.
But then again I'm sure our palettes differ, I've been eating mostly beef like this for nearly 20 years, when I get meat that is more marbled between butcherings, that isn't our own, I may feel a bit like you do thinking of eating these cuts without all the marbling.

greybeard":yytionzw said:
I wouldn't go that far Taurus. You know too, that it depends on the animal, the buyers present and the condition--as well as the market at any given time. Angus, Brangus, Chars, and Char crosses generally do good here in my area, but I've seen other breeds go thru and bring the same price--when they were good, and I've seen some sorry looking Chars and some black hides go thru that took a well deserved beating.

I don't know much at all about BBs, but if these pics are representative of the breed, I can't say they are something I would pick out at a supermarket meat counter. (enlarge the pics with your browser) That filet and ribeye just don't look appetizing to me--at all. Guess they've got their niche tho.

http://www.bellebrook.com/products.html

How tender is the meat from a BB? Is it anything like a Piedmontese? It has the double muscle gene, and the meat is so tender that it can be cut with a fork. Excellent flavor. Or is BB a tougher cut? I have always wondered this.

Latest posts