butt prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
I dont know what else to call it. Dads got a 9 month old bull with it. Anything to be done? I told him he should butcher or just shoot it. He wants to take it to the sale barn. No sales this week. He talked to a vet but didnt get them out to look. Vet said might not be able to eat it.

Can you stuff it all back in? do you have facilities at all? At the price of butcher bulls it would be worth having the vet out anyhow!

We had a bull about that age with same deal a couple years ago Vet sutured up and no issues Been breeding all year with no issue

I would pen up and hit with high protein feed after as it will be shittin thru a straw for a while I really doubted the whole time it would work......but it did

Why would "you not be able to eat it"? Just curious.

I Agee with Nesi. I think that I would see what the vet could do.
Please take a picture for us! :D

I think the reason why vet suggested to not eat that calf is that the calf could be on medications for his rectum prolaspe assuming that vet is planning to give it some medication.

Taurus":3ild3ucr said:
I think the reason why vet suggested to not eat that calf is that the calf could be on medications for his rectum prolaspe assuming that vet is planning to give it some medication.
Can't think of any med that you would give for a rectal prolapse.
I used to give my dog stool softener for a rectal prolapse, doubt that would be needed for a bull. :mrgreen:

I guess you could give it something to prevent infection, but you wouldn't do that without reason.
Perhaps he's thinking of ruptured blood vessels could be a source of e coli infection... that would be my guess.. without knowing how bad this is it's kinda hard to say.

The vet maybe thinking the prolapse is going to be out for a little while and could get cut or scratched up if not put back in quickly then would need meds. If you would butcher it right away before infection sets in you should be fine.

I would at least push it back in tommorrow and if possible sew it up or get the vet out. You can sew a purse string knot going in a circle around the rectum and leaving a couple finger space in the middle. Looks like they are crapping through a toothpaste tube but seems to work.

Best i can gather from him is it has been out for a week, possibly a little longer. I just saw it last night while i was putting hay into the barn. Our facilities are weak. The vet said it could have some disease that i cant remember right now. Intestinides???? Lol. I will talk to him today and see what he wants to do. Vet said it happens because on genetics. Is that true? He went to see a new vet we have here in town so im not sure how much we can trust her yet. Her main focus is not LA.

Genetics have been shown to play a part but are not always the case. I too would put a stitch in him regardless of the cause, feed him something hot to keep him loose unless you have green grass and just leave the stitch in for a couple months till the inflammation goes down. Then I would take him to the butcher not the salebarn since you know there's nothing wrong with the meat. But I would definitely put the stitch in no matter what you do.

I called a diffrent vet this morning. Hes a well known local LA vet. He said the same as yall. I will try and catch it up this morning and see if i can talk dad into butchering it. Or maybe ill offer him a couple hundred to buy it from him. I figure thats all he would get at the barn anyway.

Unfortunately you are right on sale barn, he is likely get docked for his condition. He is already worthless for feedlots.

Tbo":jsvvre5r said:
We had a bull about that age with same deal a couple years ago Vet sutured up and no issues Been breeding all year with no issue

I would pen up and hit with high protein feed after as it will be shittin thru a straw for a while I really doubted the whole time it would work......but it did
Don't think that I'd still use this bull in case this was a genetic condition

Lazy M":njyz2h7q said:
Tbo":njyz2h7q said:

Don't think that I'd still use this bull in case this was a genetic condition
makes me wondering if this calf is sired by this bull or his relatives. I wouldn't use a bull that prolapsed.

Well i was going to get a picture and pen it to take to slaughter. Calf didnt come up so i thought it was probably dead. I went back at dark and its momma called it up out of the woods. Dads wife decided she dont want to butcher it anyway she wants to sell it. I guess she makes the decisions. So if it lives until sunday we will try to catch it and get it there for the sale on monday. This calf could be off one of two bulls given the time frame. I hope its off the neighbors and not ours.

They are going losing lot of money if they don't sew up the calf before the sale. Let's be realistic, the buyers don't want the calf with health problems or a calf that will die in feedlot.

If this is a spring born calf with a prolapse that has been out 7+ days, you need to get a vet to it for a rectal ring and calicrate band, as well as a decent course of antibiotics. It isn't going to sell well until it is fixed and it is a welfare issue also.

Additionally, you should look for signs in the other cattle of coccidiosis as that is a common cause of prolapse in calves, look primarily loose or bloody stool. Pneumonia can cause prolapse also, as well as genetics.

You make a good point Quigly.. Sending him through in this condition isn't good for the image of the ranch, or the entire industry for that matter!

I know I would just butcher it at home. Peaceful way to fix it, no stress for either me or the little bull, no vet bill. I would absolutely not try to sell it in this condition, it would sell ridiculously low, it would not benefit the calf either to move in such a condition. If you get a vet to fix it, your hands are tied to butcher it because of the medication.
And one more thing, if the vet can help it, it is still no breeding animal. :2cents:

Latest posts