? butcher's grasps?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hello and good moring, I'm currently working on my thesis and I'm at a loss of words, well not quite. So I ask for your kind assistance: Is butcher's grasps really the expression to be used for the body score assesment done in the past? And if so what are the names for the individual grips on the poor beast? My special dictionaries are hardly of any help... so I appreachiate any suggestions even if it is just a contact whom else to ask.

Thanks in advance, Susanne Grund

[email protected]

a butcher's grasp has very little to do with bodyscoring. bodyscoring is a tool used to determine the health of cattle, while the butcher's grasps are nothing but a tool for anyone to see how close to ready for slaughter their cattle are. the condition scoring is very much breed related (every breed has different bone and muscle seting, and therefore it's visually different) while the butcher's grasps are actualy feeling the amount of fat on a particular place., or the lack thereof.

but within one breed or type of cattle, the CS can replace the grasps. what i'm saying is that you can't compare apples to pears.

[email protected]

> I've never heard that term,
> "butcher's grasps." Are
> you in the US?

No, just the other side of the channel - Germany. I'm not quite sure if there is a better English word for them, yet. hence the inverted commas.

[email protected]

Oh no, so you are telling me the English word might be something entierly different? I'm getting kinda desperate. What is the proper word then? For the general term and the individual sites? Almost everyone I asked knew them but couldn't tell me the proper name. It is not just ample curiosity on my side but I need that word/words for my thesis! Doesn't anyone here at least know someone who knows it? Please...

Susanne

> so that's why i understood you. in
> flemish it's the same word.

[email protected]

Susanne, I've heard buyers say they watch the "fat pones" on cattle (the fat around the tail head) as a way to judge finish. I don't know if that's a local term or not. There are feedlots advertising here at Cattle Today.com or a large feeder in my area is <A HREF="http://www.hitchok.com" TARGET="_blank">www.hitchok.com</A>. Maybe you can email one of them for info. Good luck...

is the technical or at least semi-tehcnical term for fat deposits.

dun

> Susanne, I've heard buyers say
> they watch the "fat
> pones" on cattle (the fat
> around the tail head) as a way to
> judge finish. I don't know if
> that's a local term or not. There
> are feedlots advertising here at
> Cattle Today.com or a large feeder
> in my area is <A HREF="http://www.hitchok.com" TARGET="_blank">www.hitchok.com</A> .
> Maybe you can email one of them
> for info. Good luck...

[email protected]

she means the grip you take around the tailhead, right behind the shoulder, and the grip right behind the hunger groove. this is a very correct way of assessing how finished a certain animal is. there are other grasps, but these are the ones i use.

and i do think you have the correct english term for it. i looked it up in de dictionary and it wasn't in there, so probably it doesn't exist in english.

[email protected]

Latest posts